Take inspiration from our stunning new ‘Exclusively Danetti with Julia Kendell’ range of sideboards and see how versatile the collection is. We worked with Julia to create three very different looks using the same sideboard. It’s so important to us that this range is versatile so we wanted to show you how it’s done. See how these looks can be achieved easily and used to enhance a variety of styles. Think outside the box and let your imagination do the styling!
Look One: Naturally Organic Sideboard
Julia wanted to show the sideboard looking feminine and tactile, so opted for calming colours and natural textures. Choose your accessories carefully for this look. Julia selected pieces in soft pastels, twigs, interesting sculptural shaped flowers. A delicate framed butterfly print combined to give the look a slightly botanical feel with elegant style.
Naturally Organic: Glide sideboard in white gloss with grey and oak, £499
How to get this look at home:
- Use a few bold shaped items but in pale colours.
- Look for dried flower heads; hydrangeas and cow parsley work well.
- Twigs or something with height will add impact and substance to the look. You don’t have to buy them though, we just picked ours from the woods!
- Layering up a few different clear glass pieces will add interest without being intrusive.
- A simple framed print in soft colours will give the sideboard a focal point. For this look Julia opted for purposeful central placement.
“This combination of organic elements and simple, elegant pieces creates a soft, welcoming look that sits well in most contemporary environments. Keep the look ‘clean’ and defined allowing the twigs and flowers to add the unconstrained movement in the display.” Julia Kendell
Look Two: Gorgeous Global Sideboard
The eclectic traveller look is a favourite style for Julia. Having been lucky enough to travel to amazing places as an Interior Designer, she’s picked up some interesting authentic pieces along the way. As a palette, classic monochrome works well for this look. Julia felt that black and white would give the sideboard style definition. A fascinating selection of accessories and curiosities add interest and create a well travelled antiquitous feel. Therefore blending in effortlessly with the contemporary sideboard. It’s easy to create with a selection of much loved treasured possessions and a few simple quick tricks.
Gorgeous Global: Glide sideboard in white gloss with grey and oak £499
How to get this look at home:
- Decide on the look you are going for, Julia went for ‘tribal global traveller’ – but it would work well with a different theme such as Mediterranean, Indian etc
- Cloches are a great way to showcase something simple and unusual – Julia used an old camera and a plant; even the simplest object is elevated to something special under a cloche.
- One striking piece will give your collection a focal point, Julia’s wooden statue from Kathmandu was her choice for this ensemble.
- The contemporary zig zag vase helps set the scene and Julia then used touches of black and white throughout the selection to tie them all together. The ceramic we chose has a vaguely tribal feel, perfect for this look.
- Use something living like an orchid or a leafy fern to breathe life into the look and stop your arrangement from appearing dusty or antiquated.
- Authentic artefacts aren’t essential to this look. The best thing is to use something that means something to you, a piece that you love. But failing that you can get some amazing ‘global chic’ items in charity shops or on the highstreet. One of our go-to places for inexpensive but great quality props is Homesense.
“Its lovely to have a place to assemble your treasured memories of trips and adventures, family heirlooms and quirky finds. Collecting these together in one place has more impact than dotting around the house and has a wonderful sense of energy and history” Julia Kendell
Look Three: Playful Retro Sideboard
Although this might not be the most obvious look for this fabulous collection as it has a contemporary retro feel to it. It feels playful, fresh and bright and would be at home in any family living space. Julia managed to bring something new to the retro look with some lovely styling ideas. There is a fine line between stylish and kitsch with retro styling. Remember you want it to be more Conran less Austin Powers so get the balance between retro and contemporary right.
How to get this look at home:
- Choose a few pre-loved or nostalgic accessories in bright colours to kick start your look. We used the bullseye telephone and the ochre coloured pot filled with bull rushes give the sideboard enough of a nod to the retro, without looking too themed.
- Add a few more sharp, contemporary products that will give it a really updated feel. The juxtaposition between the new and the old will give a designer styling look.
- Introduce something individual and cool. Julia used string, mini clothes pegs and a selection of Penguin Classic book cover postcards to create wall art. Childrens drawings of fun photographs would look great as well.
- A pendant light hanging over the sideboard is a great idea and can be themed to match the scheme – this globe style light is typical of the 60’s era.
“Retro is all about having fun, adding pops of colour and creating a space where people want to stop and look and leave with a smile. Have confidence in your choices, not mixing too many styles or colours, and leave plenty of space around groups of items to avoid the car-boot look!” Julia Kendell
To see these looks come to life, check out the video and comment telling us which you like the best.
The product that we used in this shoot was the The Exclusively Danetti with Julia Kendell Glide Sideboard in White gloss, Grey gloss and Oak, £499, www.danetti.com
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more
- Drinks Cabinet Ideas: Create Your Own Home BarIf staying in is the new going out, what better way to do it than with your own fully stocked drinks cabinet? Add a little style to your stay-at-home set up with our must-have picks for your personal mini bar. Your next night-in never looked better…Read more