Multifunctional Spaces: Here’s What You Need To Know About Multifunctional Interior Design
Effortlessly stylish and modern furniture that’s easy to adapt with your needs and your space; this season has seen a shift in interior design with the need for multipurpose pieces that can transform with you and your home.
What is the ‘multifunctional space’ trend?
This trend is all about having a space in your home that can be flexible and adapt with you and your everyday life and activities. The flexibility and functionality of both the room and the pieces within it are essential.
Danetti Designer, Francesca, explains: “I would call this a ‘Covid-induced’ trend because people have spent more time in their homes, so they understand the need for having multiple functions to their space. People have retained this idea and we want more from our spaces. We want the ultimate work from home setup, but we also want it to function as a living room, somewhere we can wind down in the evening – how can we combine those spaces. It’s going to be a big thing for the next five years; a real major focus for homes and even commercial spaces, making things work for different needs.”
Why is having a multifunctional space important?
This is one of the most significant themes for interiors this season as people want furniture solutions that can change with their needs, adding ease to their home life. It’s about having versatile furniture pieces that are easy to adapt within a room to suit your lifestyle.
Danetti Designer, Damien says: “People have realised how important spaces are in their home and having to be in them for so long, so making sure it's multifunctional and still a place where you can separate work and relaxing is key.”
How do you create a multifunctional space?
The most important things to keep in mind when you curate your space is:
- In larger rooms, create zones within a space by considering how you arrange your furniture. Using rugs, mirror and different lighting in set areas can help to establish zoned spaces as well.
- If you have a smaller space, creating zones will have the opposite desired effect. If you’re short for space, use a softer palette and remove anything that creates a partition, so your space visually flows and feels more open and airier.
- Think dual-function furniture designs that can be used in several ways to suit your interior needs, no matter the space.
Check out some of our top recommendations for products that will make home life easy, effortless, and stylish:
This dressing table is perfect for getting ready in style, or you if you didn’t want to use this piece in your bedroom, it can used as a slimline console table, or even double as desk space if you’re working from home. It features signature details from our five-star rated Clover range including the brass capped feet and an on-trend dark oak finish.
This swivel chair is perfect for transitioning from working from home life to Friday night dinner with the family thanks to its supportive tall back and versatile design. It’s available in a soft and plush champagne, rich rust, vibrant teal or classic grey velvet finish.
If you want to achieve that statement look in your living space, go bold and bright with the Geo Sideboard as the centrepiece. It has a spacious top and plenty of cupboard space, so can be used for your crockery, or double it as the ultimate home drinks cabinet. It’s ideal for adding a pop of colour to your space and can be paired with metallic accessories to create a luxe look and art-deco feel.
Made with indoor outdoor living in mind, this chair would look great in a conservatory or sunroom if you don’t have the garden space. Get comfortable in this inviting, beautiful rattan dome with its plush cushion. It’s deep seat and gentle curved shape is perfect for undisturbed relaxing anywhere.
A spacious and comfortable bench that can be tucked under a dining table to create extra social seating, or pop this in a busy hallway space. Add a pop of colour to your space with the ochre mustard velvet finish or keep things classic with this dark grey.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Shop the set
Explore Our Blogs
- Interior Trend: Organic ShapesFrom soft oversized curves that are perfect for curling up in, to sumptuous silhouettes that will bring a warm and inviting feel to your space, one of the biggest trends emerging in the world of interiors this season is ‘organic shapes’.Read more
- Earthy Palette Home: Our Interior InspirationThis palette is perfect for creating a sanctuary of your bedroom or bringing a classic and luxurious look to your kitchen or living space. Discover our three favourite colour picks for bringing this look and feel into your interior.Read more
- Japandi Interior Design: All You Need To Know About This Home StyleJapandi fuses the comforting, warm colours of Scandinavian design with the sleek, minimalistic elegance of Japanese design. Here’s all you need to know about this style of interior design and how you can curate this look and feel in your home.Read more
- Hygge Interior Design: How To Style Your HomeIf you want to curate this look and feel in your interior, look no further than this mini guide, complete with furniture recommendations and top tips from Danetti Stylist, Emily.Read more
- Bring The Outside In: All You Need To Know About Biophilic DesignDiscover all you need to know about this interior approach and how you can nod to nature in your home with our stylist and designer’s recommendations.Read more