Neotenic Design: How To Bring This Interior Style Into Your Home
From cocooning yourself in your favourite blanket on the sofa, to filling the shelves of your home with rich and vibrant green plants, the list of trends influencing the world of interiors this season is filled with unique styles. Here’s all you need to know about an unusual trend that’s sweeping homes across the globe.
What is Neotenic Design?
A design concept you probably haven’t heard of, but would have definitely been influenced by, Neotenic Design is all about pieces of furniture that have exaggerated childlike qualities such as chubby legs, inorganic and plumpy silhouettes – think curves in the right places.
Danetti Designer, Francesca says: “The idea of Neotenic Design has been slowly building over the last ten years; it’s the ‘retention of juvenile physical attributes through maturity’, or put simply, it’s the concept of ‘cuteness’ and how it attracts us. So, think of things like babies and puppies!
“It has evolved from that and translates into furniture and the interior world with soft and rounded forms. Furniture that brings the same warm and comforting feelings. I love the oversized, exaggerated, and voluminous curves of this trend. Silhouettes and shapes in their organic forms that provide the ultimate idea of comfort.”
From chunky sofas and armchairs to beds with soft curved headboards, explore our top recommendations for designs that nod to this new trend:
Noelle Light Grey Fabric Double Bed With Storage
With its statement headboard detailing in a soft and sumptuous fabric, the Noelle Bed nods to that Art Deco vibe in a soothing way thanks to its warm, cosy finish and colour. The rounded edges of the headboard detailing provide interest in a soft and subtle way, while the bed base has room for extra deep and easy-access hidden storage.
Archie II Light Grey Velvet 3 Seater Sofa
A contemporary grey velvet sofa that will instantly refresh your living space, the Archie has modern panel stitch detailing and a signature silhouette that curves and flows in a soft and sleek way, so it looks and feels luxurious. The Archie is available in five stunning shades of velvet including: champagne as shown below, rust, dark grey, light grey, light navy and 3 size: a 3 or 2 seater or a loveseat to suit your space and style.
Ottilie Ivory Boucle Accent Chair with wenge leg
With its rolling curves in this soft, on-trend finish and natural palette, the Ottilie Accent Chair is all about considered luxury and comfort. It would also make a great addition to a dressing room thanks to its versatile colour and shape.
Davies Round Ceramic Coffee Table
Function meets fashion with our Scandi inspired Davies range; a sophisticated and easy to assemble design with a striking base structure. Its on-trend white ceramic marble effect top and light wood leg create a simple yet comfortable aesthetic, ideal for any home. Co-ordinate with the matching side table and ceramic dining table if you want to create a cohesive look in an open plan living space.
Nolan Dark Oak And Chrome Round Dining Table
Round dining tables are perfect for entertaining as they create a more sociable and intimate feel. The curved base of the Nolan and sleek rounded edge of the table top bring a softness to the table’s overall look while the metallic accent strip and rich dark oak finish create a real sense of considered luxury.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Shop the set
Explore Our Blogs
- Maximalist Décor: 5 Things You Need To Bring Maximalism Into Your HomeBold and bright colours, vivid patterns and ample accessories – more is more when it comes to maximalism. In the world of interiors, this trend is all about having fun and playing with those elements that make a space feel like home.Read more
- Hygge Interior Design: How To Style Your HomeIf you want to curate this look and feel in your interior, look no further than this mini guide, complete with furniture recommendations and top tips from Danetti Stylist, Emily.Read more
- Earthy Palette Home: Our Interior InspirationThis palette is perfect for creating a sanctuary of your bedroom or bringing a classic and luxurious look to your kitchen or living space. Discover our three favourite colour picks for bringing this look and feel into your interior.Read more
- Interior Trend: Organic ShapesFrom soft oversized curves that are perfect for curling up in, to sumptuous silhouettes that will bring a warm and inviting feel to your space, one of the biggest trends emerging in the world of interiors this season is ‘organic shapes’.Read more
- How To Clean A Velvet Sofa: Our Upholstery Care TipsA common misconception about velvet is that it’s a high-maintenance material. Well, let us bust that myth with this handy care and cleaning guide! When treated with the proper care and maintenance, you’ll find your velvet furniture is built to last.Read more