Velvet and Brass finishes have been creeping up our interior wish-lists for a while now, with 2018 seeing the biggest influx of velvet furniture. For your average homeowner, velvet can feel out of reach as it can be expensive as it’s a premium fabric.
However, we think great design should be affordable for everyone! Which is exactly why we have launched our own range of velvet furniture. All at a more affordable price range so you, too, can have your dream home.
As velvet is a newer material to use in our homes, it can be tricky to know how to style around what you already own. We love the combination of velvet and brass and have designed some simple pieces which can seamlessly slide into any existing home interior.
Check out the Plaza Velvet Stools and Mellow Velvet Benches, and keep reading for our styling tips! Plus, keep your eyes peeled for more exclusive velvets coming very soon….
Why do we Love Velvet and Brass?
In all honesty, you probably love velvet and brass together because it suits your own interior style. But believe it or not, there is a reason why this luxe combo is so easy on the eye.
Velvet is a cut pile, which simply means the weave is cut lengthways, to provide a soft surface with more of a sheen. A cut pile will naturally make velvet more delicate. Over time if not cared for properly you may begin to see bald patches form. That said, all of our Velvets are rub-tested to ensure longevity. So, treated with care, they should last for years to come.
As velvets create this super soft lustre, brushed brass does the opposite and gives off a cooler, matt vibe. The juxtaposition of these 2 materials gives off very luxurious vibes while remaining cool and contemporary. Gone are the days of crushed velvets and diamante trims- less is definitely more when it comes to interior decor.
As with any home update, it’s important to look for inspiration before making any decisions. Anything can inspire you, from fashion and interior mags, social media or even your favourite restaurant. Velvet and Brass is a very luxe look, so you want to be sure you incorporate extra luxe elements into your vision to create a perfectly styled home.
Potentially the space to start off this interior design trend is Sketch, London. With its head to toe pink velvet interiors balanced with warm brass and textured marbles, there’s no denying the instagramability of this stunning restaurant.
Transferring this high-end look into your home is much easier than you may think. Aside from painting your walls and ceilings bright pink, you can add a few simple velvet and brass pieces to create the same look at a much lower price tag.
The quickest and simplest way to introduce velvet and brass is with our Plaza Velvet Stool. The versatility of this little stool allows total freedom to use in any room of your home. Position it against your leather sofa for a comfy place to put your feet up, use as a trendy dressing table seat or as extra seating around your dining table. Plus at just £99, it’s affordable no matter what your budget!
Take a leaf out of our super stylish customer’s book and use your Plaza Stool as a Dressing Table Seat. The Plaza is available in 4 colours with 3 different finishes meaning you’ll be sure to find the ideal option for your home.
Penny Goldstone has chosen the Teal and Warm Brass Plaza for her dark and dramatic dressing area.
Aalkins has gone for the Pink Plaza Stool to balance with her Brass and Marble dressing table.
Swapping your classic dressing table chair for the Plaza Stool instantly adds style and form. Its handy size also means it will tuck neatly under your dressing table or desk. Stylish, compact and space saving!
One of our best selling lines is our Mellow bench- now available in Sapphire Velvet and Brass. The beauty of these benches is that they can be part of your dining set, or sit on their own as a statement piece. You could even double up and use as a compact sofa!
With the current dark wall interior trend, the sapphire velvet works beautifully against many inky shades. Position against dark blue walls for a camouflage look and to make the brass legs pop. Alternatively, the soft blue sheen also looks great against varying shades of purples, dark greens and smokey greys- the possibilities really are endless.
We all know the soft sheen against the matt brushed brass works wonders, but how about adding another layer and pairing the Mellow Velvet Benches with a high gloss dining table?! The super-reflective surface bounces light around the room, giving your new velvet furniture extra depth. Plus, no one can resist a durable, grey gloss extending dining tables, such as our Sanza.
You could even pair your Mellow Benches with the Plaza Stool for extra seats when needed!
The Mellow Velvet Bench also comes in a Petrol Grey and Stainless Steel leg, which we will be covering very soon on the blog.
How to Style Velvet
Although we’ve only shown you 2 new styles, fear not- we have plenty more velvet and brass newness in the works! Let’s just build up the courage to introduce this trend into our homes one step at a time. If, however, you’re diving straight into the velvet scene, our Stylist has some top tips for you when it comes to styling velvet and brass in your home.
- Velvet is a very soft material with a subtle sheen, so contrast this with natural materials such as marble and wood. Marble is also a very luxe material, so pair with velvet for a modern, minimal and very luxurious interior.
- Mix and match your metallics. Sticking to just brass can feel overpowering and a little dated. Instead, clash highly reflective metals with brushed finishes. Or maybe mix a brushed brass with a stainless steel.
- If you opt for a brighter velvet, keep the surrounding colours neutral to really make your velvet pop.
- Use textured throws and cushions with a graphic print over velvet sofas to avoid your home looking too twee and to add personality.
- Choose muted or darker colours as these will last longer. A bright orange velvet sofa will look incredible, however, you want your furniture to last. Instead, choose a colour which has a bit more longevity and versatility to work in your home as you change over the years. Dark blues and muted pinks work great in any existing interior.
- If you really want your velvet to glisten, place in a room with plenty of natural light. However, avoid direct sunlight as this can cause bleaching.
- Velvet is a tricky material to clean if you don’t pick up any spillages right away. You can use warm soapy water and a clean cloth to mop up any spills. For bigger stains or those you don’t get to in time, seek professional advice before attempting to clean the velvet yourself.
Keep an eye out for our Velvet Buying Guide coming soon to the blog, full of tips and tricks to cleaning your velvet and how to keep it looking good as new!
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more