This year for International Women’s Day, we wanted to share with you our Top 5 Women in Design. Those who inspire us every day. Whether they are the design leaders of the future, or design innovators from the past, these women continue to lead the way across all aspects of design. Here is our 5 favourite female architects, interior designers and furniture gurus. Tell us, who inspires you!
Ray Kaiser Eames
As one half of the design powerhouse that is Eames, Ray was an American Artist, filmmaker and designer responsible for some of the most notable contributions to architecture, design and furniture. Her designs are as popular now as they were in the 1940’s with husband Charles Eames saying;
“Whatever I can do, Ray can do it better”
It was the iconic Eames Lounge chair Ray was most known for- in which she used molded Plywood. Later in life, she worked with Fiberglass & Plastic as seen on the classic Eiffel Chair. Who would have thought the Eiffel Chair from 1951 is still so popular in 2017! It just goes to show the power of great design. Great female design at that!
Kelly Hoppen MBE
We have all seen Kelly on TV recently on shows such as Dragons Den and the Interior Design Challenge, but Kelly Hoppen has been a leader in Interior Design for many years. Kelly’s first interior design job was at the tender age of 16, when she had the opportunity to design a friends kitchen. Along with being a well known Dragon, Judge and Interior Designer, Kelly is also an Author of 8 books. Wining many awards such as the Andrew Martin Interior Design Award and Everywoman Ambassador Award – Not to mention becoming an MBE… Is there anything this woman can’t do?!
As one of the greatest Female Architects of our time with a career spanning over 25 years, Zaha Hadid created some of the most recognisable structures in the world. The Iraqi-born British Designer even designed the London 2012 Aquatics centre. With is swooping curves reflecting waves on the water and adding a softness to the harsh outline of Londons high risers. Hadid sadly passed away in March 2016, however her incredible designs live on in this years Brit award. You can also see Hadid’s work in the 2022 Fifa World Cup venue in Doha, which is still under construction.
As an Interior Stylist, I find Abigail Ahern such a great source on inspiration. Abigail always seems to be one step ahead of the game, from her use of dark inky colours, maximalist interiors and her design masterclasses which she holds in her own home. She is realistic when it comes to interior design and always addresses those tricky faux pas on her blog. As a result, she makes interior styling and design easy for everyone! Most of all, Abigail has written 3 world wide interior design books! ‘Colour’ is a personal favourite of mine. Whether you turn to the dark side or stick to a neutral colour pallet, it is full of amazing insider tips and pics!
So if you’ve not already, check out www.abigailahern.com to read her blog. I promise you will return time and time again!
Finally, on International Women’s Day, we want to celebrate the life and works of Greta Grossman. In a time dominated by male designers, Greta was one of the few female designers to rise to the top. She become a leader in the mid-century modernism movement. This Scandinavian designer moved to LA in 1940 and helped shape Californias architectural and furniture design scene. You may not have heard of Grossman, but I don’t doubt you will find her designs instantly recognisable. From desks to lighting, Greta’s timeless designs are still used today within modern interior design. You know you’ve made it when your designs are still being sold 80 years later!
On International Women’s Day, we want to thank all women across the world for your outstanding contributions to design. Be it fashion, furniture, art or architecture. Here’s to GIRL POWER!
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Dining Room and Home Office Ideas: 6x Things You Need To Know About This SeasonFrom luxury materials to practical shapes and styles that are perfect for welcoming people back into your home, we sat down with our Danetti Dining and Home Office Expert, Johanna Rieser to get her exclusive insight on this season’s new collection.Read more
- Bedroom Trends: 5x Things You Need To Know About Our New CollectionFrom soft wood finishes and sumptuous fabrics, to why you should turn your bedroom into a sanctuary, we caught up with our Danetti bedroom expert, Kelly Harvey, to get the inside scoop on our new seasonal collection.Read more
- Enhancing Grey – What Colours Work Best With Grey?Grey is here to stay! Coined as the colour of the moment, the timeless and always trendy colour has been a fan favourite in the world of interior décor for quite some time. Check out our top palette pairings.Read more
- Modern Sofas: Style Tips and Décor EssentialsThe focal point of every living room, it’s important to invest time in finding the right sofa for your living space. From the size of your living room to the colour scheme, there are lots of factors to consider when styling your sofa as it’s a centrepiece, and one of the most used pieces furniture in your home. Here are our top tips for styling your sofa.Read more
- How Colours Affect Your Mood And InteriorHave you ever wondered why we make certain decisions based on colour? Colour is a key player when it comes to interior design as your chosen colour scheme sets the mood for your space. Take a look at some of our top palette picks for your home makeover.Read more