You’ve found the perfect dining table and chairs, the dining room table looks every inch an extract from one of those good home magazines, and the candles add the final touch, creating the right mood for your dinner party. Guests arrive and are met by a canapé and wine reception, when everyone is gathered; you guide your guests to the dining table..from then on in it all goes horribly wrong. There is not enough space around the table for guests to pull out and get under it, eventually they manage but your guests now resemble sardines rather then the magazine extract you had planned. This could have been avoided if we had just followed the ‘Rules of Dining’.
Now obviously these are not strict guidelines, they bare room for a little flexibility, for instance to squeeze in that extra person who didn’t RSVP, so you had no idea they were coming, but they are guidelines all the same, to help you achieve the most from your dining experience.
Choosing the Right table: – The table should be 750mm in height, allowing room from the slightest to the most robust guest. So chairs should be around 450mm high at the seat.
Choose Numbers: – Each diner requires 600 mm to eat comfortably, whilst leaving 100mm between each person to avoid any stray elbows landing in soups.
For four persons dining, a square/circular dining table is ideal for creating the right level of dining intimacy and gives enough room for all. For six plus , you should look at rectangular tables, the standard length of these dining tables is 1200 mm, many come with folding leaves so are easily extending to fit all guests comfortably. We suggest the Innocence Dining Table for four diners and the Lenda Classic Dining Table for six diners or more.
Choose the Area: – You will need to keep at least 600mm free space around your dining room table to allow easy access in and out. So for a square dining table measuring 1200mm x 1200mm, a space of 3600 mm sq is required.
Every restaurateur knows the importance of a restaurant layout and you only get one chance to get it right. There are many important factors to consider but top of the list is – layout. It is crucial to get the right spacing, leaving enough room for your waitress to manoeuvre comfortably for both them and diners, around the dining tables and to and from the kitchen.
The space needed around the tables is slightly more than standard dining, this is to allow for the flow of traffic between the tables and give each tables its own level of privacy. The distance around each table should be 900mm for comfortable dining.
Which Table to serve what? : – Dependant on which cuisine style your restaurant is serving, will be a deciding factor on the different level of space required by individual diners, a diner in a coffee shop requires less room than someone in a restaurant having a three course meal.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Design Ideas: Brighten Up Your Bedroom with Our Top TipsThere are many ways you can brighten up your interior so that your room feels like a warm sanctuary escape in the winter months. Here are some easy ways to add some brightness into your bedroom.Read more
- Dining Room and Home Office Ideas: 6x Things You Need To Know About This SeasonFrom luxury materials to practical shapes and styles that are perfect for welcoming people back into your home, we sat down with our Danetti Dining and Home Office Expert, Johanna Rieser to get her exclusive insight on this season’s new collection.Read more
- Bedroom Trends: 5x Things You Need To Know About Our New CollectionFrom soft wood finishes and sumptuous fabrics, to why you should turn your bedroom into a sanctuary, we caught up with our Danetti bedroom expert, Kelly Harvey, to get the inside scoop on our new seasonal collection.Read more
- Enhancing Grey – What Colours Work Best With Grey?Grey is here to stay! Coined as the colour of the moment, the timeless and always trendy colour has been a fan favourite in the world of interior décor for quite some time. Check out our top palette pairings.Read more
- Modern Sofas: Style Tips and Décor EssentialsThe focal point of every living room, it’s important to invest time in finding the right sofa for your living space. From the size of your living room to the colour scheme, there are lots of factors to consider when styling your sofa as it’s a centrepiece, and one of the most used pieces furniture in your home. Here are our top tips for styling your sofa.Read more