Any designer will tell you, it’s the quality of materials that make an interiors scheme. Whether a simple design, quirky, classic or contemporary, the surface details must be of the highest finish for the overall effect to look well considered. This year, the vibe is all about combining luxurious materials such as marble, polished glass and unpolished natural wood with eye-catching, matt metals.
Both brushed steel and matt brass/gold are big news and dominate kitchen trends for 2018. The subtlety of the matt metallic finish exudes an understated elegance whilst the reflective qualities of the metals lift and brighten the look. It’s a perfect combination and this palette ensures a room will look both stylish and welcoming.
When planning a room update, detail is key and my top tip is to think about what will draw your eye in the room. Any strong colour or heavy pattern will attract attention first.
So to achieve a good balance within the space, plan the material finishes with this in mind. For example, a colourful backsplash can create a dramatic effect. But if the colour isn’t used in other places around the room, the eye will ‘stop’ at the backsplash allowing it to dominate the scheme and create an imbalance overall.
If you are planning a marble-clad island and want this to be the ‘hero’ of the design, ensure none of the other elements dilute or drown out its appeal. With beautiful, good quality materials, the ‘less is more’ approach wins out.
Form Stainless Steel Barstool Range
Often the best interiors, and those easiest to live with, are the simplest where each piece has both a function and contributes to the overall aesthetic. The Form Barstool has been designed with quality of finish very much in mind and the new stainless steel cantilever base perfectly complements this year’s materials palette.
Whether set against a dark granite, timber veneer, luscious marble or glossy colour, the steel and leather-effect surface materials will stylishly enhance the look.
Julia’s Material Tips for Updating a Kitchen
- Consider the ‘balance’ of the room, what materials will dominate and draw the eye. Are these the areas you want to draw attention to?
- Every surface material should complement and enhance the rest as a complete palette of tone, pattern and texture.
- Using the ‘less is more’ approach, choose the best quality you can afford for fewer pieces to ensure a quality overall look.
- Add in matt metallics to tap into this year’s trend and add life and energy to the scheme.
- As with any room design, lighting is key to ensuring the fixtures and furnishings look their best. Use several circuits to produce a flexible lighting scheme for all occasions.
Keep your eyes peeled for new colourways and textures of our Julia Kendell Collection coming soon. To stay up to date, don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for behind the scenes sneak peeks!
Follow Julia’s new blog, The Relaxed Home, for more on her latest projects and Interior Design updates.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more
- Drinks Cabinet Ideas: Create Your Own Home BarIf staying in is the new going out, what better way to do it than with your own fully stocked drinks cabinet? Add a little style to your stay-at-home set up with our must-have picks for your personal mini bar. Your next night-in never looked better…Read more