#Any designer will tell you, it’s the quality of materials that make an interiors scheme. Whether a simple design, quirky, classic or contemporary, the surface details must be of the highest finish for the overall effect to look well considered. This year, the vibe is all about combining luxurious materials such as marble, polished glass and unpolished natural wood with eye-catching, matt metals.
Both brushed steel and matt brass/gold are big news and dominate kitchen trends for 2018. The subtlety of the matt metallic finish exudes an understated elegance whilst the reflective qualities of the metals lift and brighten the look. It’s a perfect combination and this palette ensures a room will look both stylish and welcoming.
When planning a room update, detail is key and my top tip is to think about what will draw your eye in the room. Any strong colour or heavy pattern will attract attention first.
So to achieve a good balance within the space, plan the material finishes with this in mind. For example, a colourful backsplash can create a dramatic effect. But if the colour isn’t used in other places around the room, the eye will ‘stop’ at the backsplash allowing it to dominate the scheme and create an imbalance overall.
If you are planning a marble-clad island and want this to be the ‘hero’ of the design, ensure none of the other elements dilute or drown out its appeal. With beautiful, good quality materials, the ‘less is more’ approach wins out.
Form Stainless Steel Barstool Range
Often the best interiors, and those easiest to live with, are the simplest where each piece has both a function and contributes to the overall aesthetic. The Form Barstool has been designed with quality of finish very much in mind and the new stainless steel cantilever base perfectly complements this year’s materials palette.
Whether set against a dark granite, timber veneer, luscious marble or glossy colour, the steel and leather-effect surface materials will stylishly enhance the look.
Julia’s Material Tips for Updating a Kitchen
- Consider the ‘balance’ of the room, what materials will dominate and draw the eye. Are these the areas you want to draw attention to?
- Every surface material should complement and enhance the rest as a complete palette of tone, pattern and texture.
- Using the ‘less is more’ approach, choose the best quality you can afford for fewer pieces to ensure a quality overall look.
- Add in matt metallics to tap into this year’s trend and add life and energy to the scheme.
- As with any room design, lighting is key to ensuring the fixtures and furnishings look their best. Use several circuits to produce a flexible lighting scheme for all occasions.
Keep your eyes peeled for new colourways and textures of our Julia Kendell Collection coming soon. To stay up to date, don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for behind the scenes sneak peeks!
Follow Julia’s new blog, The Relaxed Home, for more on her latest projects and Interior Design updates.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Design Ideas: Brighten Up Your Bedroom with Our Top TipsThere are many ways you can brighten up your interior so that your room feels like a warm sanctuary escape in the winter months. Here are some easy ways to add some brightness into your bedroom.Read more
- Dining Room and Home Office Ideas: 6x Things You Need To Know About This SeasonFrom luxury materials to practical shapes and styles that are perfect for welcoming people back into your home, we sat down with our Danetti Dining and Home Office Expert, Johanna Rieser to get her exclusive insight on this season’s new collection.Read more
- Bedroom Trends: 5x Things You Need To Know About Our New CollectionFrom soft wood finishes and sumptuous fabrics, to why you should turn your bedroom into a sanctuary, we caught up with our Danetti bedroom expert, Kelly Harvey, to get the inside scoop on our new seasonal collection.Read more
- Enhancing Grey – What Colours Work Best With Grey?Grey is here to stay! Coined as the colour of the moment, the timeless and always trendy colour has been a fan favourite in the world of interior décor for quite some time. Check out our top palette pairings.Read more
- Modern Sofas: Style Tips and Décor EssentialsThe focal point of every living room, it’s important to invest time in finding the right sofa for your living space. From the size of your living room to the colour scheme, there are lots of factors to consider when styling your sofa as it’s a centrepiece, and one of the most used pieces furniture in your home. Here are our top tips for styling your sofa.Read more