At a first glance mix and match furniture may look like a totally random selection. However, it’s actually a much more considered design set up than just throwing any old pieces together. After all, you don’t want your dining space looking like your old student digs or your first flat, where non-matching furniture was more of a necessity than a lifestyle choice!
When done correctly, mixing your dining chairs is a great way to create a unique look in your dining area. We’ve put together our own definitive guide to offer you style tips for pulling off a mix and match dining set. We also have tons of dining room decorating ideas, so you’ll be creating this very on-trend mix and match look in no time!
Same Colour Dining Chair, Different Design:
By keeping the colour of your dining chairs the same, you are able to keep the coordination. You’re also able to have some fun with the shape, style and size of the chairs you choose.
Mix and Match Same Design Dining Chair, Different Colour:
One of the easiest mixed dining chairs design ideas is having the same shape and style of dining chair but in a variety of complementary colours. This is because there is still consistency from the design of the chairs, but you can really get creative with which colour combinations you choose. Opt for two tones or a neutral palette for a more subtle take on this look.
Same Material Dining Chair, Different Design:
This look is ideal if you have a particular material choice in mind but still want mix things up. The key to pulling off this mismatched dining setting is to stick with just one material finish but in different chair styles. We’ve opted for real leather but you can choose any material that best suits your space. It’s a good idea to stick to one colour when opting for this mismatched look. This is so that there aren’t too many points of difference. All of our leather chairs come in the same palette creating plenty of potential to coordinate different designs of chair.
Play With The Height Of Chairs and Bar Stools:
Okay, so a bar stool isn’t technically a dining chair but we had to include this mix and match dining setting. Having different heights in your dining space, such as bar stools at a breakfast bar, will help to create a nice visual balance in the space. We’ve kept elements the same such as the wire leg frame of both the Eames chairs and of the Anzio bar stools, as it is a contemporary coordinating feature that helps to tie the whole look together.
If you want to have an even more coordinated look throughout your space, you might want to consider something like an Eames Style Bar Stool, as they have similar styling on the base and the seat mirrors the continuous curve of the Eames chair.
Mixing The Traditional With Modern:
When mixing traditional with modern pieces, less really is more. Try not to have too many different styles of chair as this can make the space look jumbled rather than styled. We’ve selected a seat similar to the Eames Dining Armchair, called the Finn Dining Armchair, as its iconic design means it will always look on trend and up to date. To add a traditional spin, we’ve chosen the tactile oak frame finish of the Scandi style Senn Oak and White Dining Chair, which also helps to add a touch a warmth. The white finish of both of the seats helps to tie the whole look together.
When selecting a table for this look, we’d suggest something with glass and chrome accents, like the Tiva Small Glass Dining Table or Naro Round Glass 4 Seater Table. The transparency of the glass would let the chairs be the ‘star of the show’ while the chrome accents would give the set a truly modern edge.
If you’re really inspired by this timeless look, we definitely recommend taking a look at our “How to Add a Modern Edge to a Traditional Home” blog post (after you’ve finished reading this one of course), which offers an array of style inspiration for creating this look throughout your home.
Mix and match furniture can create a very impactful setting. However, there are ways around this if you’d like to have a more subtle take on this statement look but still with some level of variation. Changing just one element or detail of your chair selection keeps the coordination but breaks up the palette for a mini mixed look.
When mixing textures, we suggest keeping the shape and style of your dining chairs as similar as you can. This is so all the style impact from this look comes from your choice of mixed of materials. Whether it’s wood with chrome or fabric and faux leather, like we’ve opted for with our Riva and Tori chairs, having a mix of textures in your dining area will create a tactile and very contemporary vibe, with the added benefit of getting to have such a range of gorgeous material finishes in your home!
Both of our Tori and Riva chairs are stackable seats, so they are great space savers. This makes the chairs ideal for storing away and then getting out again when you have guests round for dinner.
Same Style Dining Chair Different Design:
This dining room design is another subtle take on the mix and match look. By keeping the style the same but having a slightly different design of chair, you are able to mix things up just enough so there is a stylish visual impact, without the look becoming too overpowering in your dining space. A great way to do this is to place dining armchairs at the each end of the table. This not only mixes things up a bit, but it creates a really neat and uniform modern dining room. There’s also two extra comfy seats at the end of the table for your favourite people.
This style of chair is definitely something to consider if you want to comfortably sit around your table chatting, long after the dinner plates have been cleared away!
Have we inspired you to give the mix and match look a try in your dining area? Let us know your favourite style in the comments, alongside any stylish set ups you already have in your home!
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more