If you’re a professional landlord, or a buy-to-let investor, then at first thought the forthcoming housing benefit caps might seem like a real headache – council tenants will not longer be able to afford to live in your property if it’s in a prime area such as the centre of London.
But it might be just the incentive you need to renovate your property, furnish it with high end contemporary furniture, and market it to the corporate and professional sector instead – which in the long run will allow you to earn more from your property.
Benham & Reeves Residential Lettings (www.brlets.co.uk), which has 10 offices across London, says the market is acutely short of properties to rent: on average there are eight applicants for every available home, so upgrading your property could allow you to tap into this lucrative market.
“Whatever one’s views of the caps, they will transform the lettings market in those parts of London where many benefit-recipients now live such as the W2 postcode in particular. It makes sense to refurbish and enter the more lucrative private sector”, says Marc von Grundherr, director of Benham & Reeves Residential Lettings.
One advantage of this approach is that rental income is highly likely to increase. “We’ve just refurbished a three bed property moving after years with housing benefit tenants. The rent has risen 28%. This is an extreme example and such a rise is never guaranteed, but it shows the difference made by a quality refurbishment on a well-located home.
“This is a rare opportunity to upgrade, possibly enhance rental income and definitely boost the capital value of your investment and to get back control of your property. Seize it.”
If you’re looking for high quality furniture for a residential let, then Danetti has a huge range. Many of our products are suitable for the commercial market, so they are extremely hard-wearing and resilient – just what you want from furniture in a rental property.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Bedroom Trends: 5x Things You Need To Know About Our New CollectionFrom soft wood finishes and sumptuous fabrics, to why you should turn your bedroom into a sanctuary, we caught up with our Danetti bedroom expert, Kelly Harvey, to get the inside scoop on our new seasonal collection.Read more
- Enhancing Grey – What Colours Work Best With Grey?Grey is here to stay! Coined as the colour of the moment, the timeless and always trendy colour has been a fan favourite in the world of interior décor for quite some time. Check out our top palette pairings.Read more
- Modern Sofas: Style Tips and Décor EssentialsThe focal point of every living room, it’s important to invest time in finding the right sofa for your living space. From the size of your living room to the colour scheme, there are lots of factors to consider when styling your sofa as it’s a centrepiece, and one of the most used pieces furniture in your home. Here are our top tips for styling your sofa.Read more
- How Colours Affect Your Mood And InteriorHave you ever wondered why we make certain decisions based on colour? Colour is a key player when it comes to interior design as your chosen colour scheme sets the mood for your space. Take a look at some of our top palette picks for your home makeover.Read more
- Interior Styling Tips: Create An Insta-Worthy Living Room With Bold Colours & AccentsWe’re swooning over the current trending interior design theme that is Hollywood Glam. Bold jewel tones, brass accents, and an art deco colour palette – we’ve got it all in-store. Here’s how we can easily achieve this look.Read more