If you’re a professional landlord, or a buy-to-let investor, then at first thought the forthcoming housing benefit caps might seem like a real headache – council tenants will not longer be able to afford to live in your property if it’s in a prime area such as the centre of London.
But it might be just the incentive you need to renovate your property, furnish it with high end contemporary furniture, and market it to the corporate and professional sector instead – which in the long run will allow you to earn more from your property.
Benham & Reeves Residential Lettings (www.brlets.co.uk), which has 10 offices across London, says the market is acutely short of properties to rent: on average there are eight applicants for every available home, so upgrading your property could allow you to tap into this lucrative market.
“Whatever one’s views of the caps, they will transform the lettings market in those parts of London where many benefit-recipients now live such as the W2 postcode in particular. It makes sense to refurbish and enter the more lucrative private sector”, says Marc von Grundherr, director of Benham & Reeves Residential Lettings.
One advantage of this approach is that rental income is highly likely to increase. “We’ve just refurbished a three bed property moving after years with housing benefit tenants. The rent has risen 28%. This is an extreme example and such a rise is never guaranteed, but it shows the difference made by a quality refurbishment on a well-located home.
“This is a rare opportunity to upgrade, possibly enhance rental income and definitely boost the capital value of your investment and to get back control of your property. Seize it.”
If you’re looking for high quality furniture for a residential let, then Danetti has a huge range. Many of our products are suitable for the commercial market, so they are extremely hard-wearing and resilient – just what you want from furniture in a rental property.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more