Not Being Practical
You’ve set your sights on your dream living room interior in that glossy magazine or on Pinterest. It’s clean, contemporary and effortlessly cool. But is it liveable? Many shoots are set up to look great but they just aren’t practical. Remember that you and your family will be using the space, so keep key factors like comfort and durability
Poorly Planning Your Layout
No one wants to squeeze past your coffee table or climb over your footstool to sit down. Plan out your spacing so there’s enough room for drawers and doors to be opened, tables to be walked around and legs to be stretched out and put up without getting in the way.
Not Enough Light
We talk a lot about how important lighting is for your home and lighting your living room is no exception. (You can read more here if you’re keen to find out how to do it well). Consider where the natural light will fall in the day and what areas you’d like to illuminate when it’s dark at night. Living rooms are generally more relaxed settings, so you’ll want ambient lighting to help to create a softer, calming glow.
Buying Everything At Once
It can be tempting when furnishing a new space or renovating an existing home to get everything in one go. But not everyone has the time or money to have that luxury! And that’s not always a bad thing. Start with your essentials like your sofa and seating. Then you can colour match and coordinate accessories to this. Trends and fads come and go, and you can always change your accent pieces over time. But matching to your staple furniture in the space means your living room will always feel up to date.
Not Checking Your Measurements
One obvious living room buying mistake but also one that can be easily missed. When ordering furniture online, it’s best to check, check and then check again that the furniture can fit through your door, that it’s the right size and shape for your space, and that you haven’t overfilled the setting. You can do this by drawing a floor plan on squared paper or marking out your furniture using making tape. Either way, you want to know it’ll fit.
Leaving Out End Tables & Surface Space
The comfiest sofa isn’t half as accommodating when guests have to sit with their drink in hand and snacks on their lap. That’s why it’s always handy to have a surface near your seating, whether that’s a coffee table or smaller end table next to your sofa. If you’re short on space opt for a side table that can nest or be stacked when not in use.
Making Everything Match
Although coordination can go a long way in creating a well thought out space, overly matchy-matchy interiors can look a bit static and uninspired. Start with your basics and have one central colour or theme, but don’t be afraid to introduce different patterns and textures through your soft furnishings and accent pieces. This will really help
Living Room Buying Mistakes -Avoided!
Have we inspired you to freshen up your living room? You can browse our collection of living room furniture over on our website.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more