Last week we dispelled some common mattress myths. This week we’ll be answering some questions that are often asked when deciding which mattress is best for you. We’ll also give you some top tips to look out for when buying your mattress.
Q: How much should I spend on a mattress?
A: One of the most important factors for many people when buying a mattress is the cost. Spend whatever you can afford because this is an investment piece that you’ll feel the benefit of every night (and every day) for the next seven years or more. On a cost-per-night basis the price of a mattress isn’t as much as you’d think and is entirely worth it for a good night’s sleep, and ultimately for your health and wellbeing. Although your bed will be the focal point, and you want it to look fabulous, your mattress is where you’ll actually be sleeping – so putting the majority of your budget there is a no brainer.
Did you Know: The Cost per night, per person of our mattresses ranges from just 6p to 16p, and even less if you take advantage of our offer and buy your bed and mattress together.
Don’t forget, we offer 0% finance on purchases over £1500, perfect if you’re looking to buy your mattress and bed together.
Q: Which spring type should I look for?
A: Spring coil mattresses come in two types – Open coil or Pocket spring.
Open coil mattresses have springs that are known to dip or sag causing people to roll-together, as well as becoming lumpy over time. They don’t tend to keep their shape for as long and movement from your partner is common – not ideal if you’re a light-sleeper.
Pocket spring mattresses encase every spring within it’s own ‘sock’ or pocket. This keeps the springs in place allows every spring to move independently which maintains the shape and support of the mattress. This means you get a longer lifecycle from the mattress as well as a more supportive and comfortable night’s sleep, not feeling the movement of your partner.
Spring fact: Every one of our pocket springs has 1m of wire. The length of the wire is what absorbs the weight put on the mattress.
Q: My partner is a back sleeper and I sleep on my side, does that matter?
A: The tension of the mattress is such an important factor here. A medium tension mattress has enough ‘give’ so it doesn’t put too much pressure on your joints, essential for a side sleeper, but it still has enough support for a back sleeper. Flipping and rotating your mattress as recommended will keep the comfort layers evenly distributed and provide the optimum levels of support needed for a good night’s sleep on both sides, however you sleep.
Q: I suffer from allergies, which mattress is best?
A: So here comes the gruesome bit – most mattress related allergies or reactions are caused by unmentionables left behind by dustmites (don’t ask…google it). The best way to avoid your mattress getting dust mites is to frequently air it and use a mattress protector. Some manufacturers claim to offer anti-dust mite fabric, however, to keep our mattresses as natural as possible they’re not post-treated (which can leave a bit of a nasty smell too!). Look for a mattress that can be flipped and rotated, such as the Tranquil Indulgence or Boutique Opulence.
Another thing to look for is Vents, which will allow air to circulate around the mattress.
Q: How long will my mattress last?
A: Experts recommend replacing your mattress every seven years, this is because comfort and support levels aren’t quite what they used to be seven years down the line. Not to mention the hygiene factor of a seven-year old mattress! Your mattress may last even longer of you look after it correctly. We’re so confident with our new mattress range that we’ve included a full warranty for the lifetime of the mattress.
Q: Will the mattress fit my bed?
A: All of our supportive mattresses are made to fit the Danetti bed range, is based on standard UK bed sizing. If you are looking at a mattress and bed from different suppliers then we recommend that you carefully measure your bed before ordering your mattress to ensure it will fit. The part you need to measure is the inside measurement, not the outer size.
It’s worth noting that there is some tolerance with mattress sizing, which is to allow the mattress to relax over time, and also to allow for the fact that when in use the mattress will be wider than when no one is laying on it.
Q: Does it matter what type of bed I have?
A: Consider your bed when buying your mattress because the two things work together. Take a look at your bed and check what kind of base it has. If it has a flat board base or flat slats, they won’t have any extra give or resistance, so your mattress will need to do all the work. In this case you need to reply on only your mattress to provide the comfort. To give you the best comfort and support levels, check out the super affordable Comfort Bliss or more premium Tranquil Indulgence mattresses which would be ideal on this type of bed frame.
A sprung slat bed frame is the best option, this is to allow your bed and mattress to work in total harmony. Whatever comfort benefits your mattress has will be enhanced but sprung slats. Sprung slats are slightly bowed, think of it like a shock absorber, pushing back against the mattress and amplifying the springs to give a more supportive night’s sleep.
Q: Do I have to flip my mattress?
A: To maintain your mattress for as long as possible, it will need turning or rotating as recommended. We suggest you do this every six weeks or so. Mattresses with all of the comfort layers on the top (Plush Deluxe, Ultimate Pillow-top, Sumptuous Luxury Quilted and Forever Wellness) will only need rotating.
Tip: Think realistically about how often you are likely to flip your mattress, or have flipped your current mattress. For absolute optimum maintenance there we do say that Flip and Rotate is best, but rotating only Is still really valuable when it comes to maintenance. When you have a mattress that you can flip and rotate you have the comfort layers split between the two sides. But if realistically you’re only going to flip it once a year then invest in a rotate only mattress, with all the comfort layers on one side – otherwise you will have effectively half your mattress that you never get to lay on.
Q: I sometimes suffer with a bad back, which mattress should I buy?
A: Lots of retailers out there claim to offer an orthopaedic mattress, there really is no such thing – and that is a fact. Just because they’re using medical sounding terminology doesn’t mean its medically recommended. A common misconception is that a firm mattress going to be the best option for a bad back. Everyone is different and you need the best support for you. A medium tension mattress is best suited to someone of an average weight and build, as the springs on a firm mattress won’t push back enough to give the right level of support. If you do like a firmer sleep, take a look at our Forever Wellness mattress which has a nested spring construction to give a fantastic level of support whilst still offering multiple foam comfort layers to contour to the shape of your spine.
Q: How do I clean / care for my mattress:
A: Look after your mattress and it’ll definitely look after you. There are just a few simple things you can do to keep your mattress on top form:
1) Flip and/or rotate as recommended to prevent dipping and keeping the mattress evenly settled;
2) use a mattress protector to reduce the amount of sweat, oil and skin that is absorbed by the mattress during the night, as well as creating a barrier against dust mites.
3) every now and again strip all the sheets off your bed, throw open the windows and allow the fresh air to get to any nasties that might be living in there and to get that fresh air circulating through the vents
4) If you do get a mark or spill on your mattress clean it damp cloth and mild detergent (not harsh detergents or chemical cleaners as these can damage the fabric and stitching), ensure the bed is completely dry before putting the sheets back on.
5) lastly where possible try to avoid using a vacuum cleaner, this can permanently alter the make-up of the comfort layers, if you have to vacuum it, use a lower setting or give it a gentle Dustbuster instead.
We hope that helps! If you have any questions, give us a call and our Mattress Experts will be happy to help. 020 3588 1380
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more
- Drinks Cabinet Ideas: Create Your Own Home BarIf staying in is the new going out, what better way to do it than with your own fully stocked drinks cabinet? Add a little style to your stay-at-home set up with our must-have picks for your personal mini bar. Your next night-in never looked better…Read more