Lighting is the most important part of interior design. There. I said it.
You may think this to be a bold and false statement but think about it. You can have the most beautifully decorated room with incredible furniture, but if the light is too dark, or too harsh, the feeling will be totally wrong.
Getting your lightning right should be top of your interior wish list, and we’re here to show you just how to create that perfect ambience for every room in your home.
Before you start buying lamps and pendants willy nilly, you need to take a moment to ask yourself a few questions:
1. What will I use the room for?
Knowing how you are going to use a space is key to getting the atmosphere right. Kitchens generally need bright, overhead task lighting so you can see what you’re doing,
2. What atmosphere do I want to create?
Creating an atmosphere can be as simple as playing with levels of lighting. Think about it- romantic scenes are usually lit with candles and soft lamps. For rooms where you want to relax, unwind or just hang out require soft, warm lighting. Playrooms, on the other hand, are promoting learning, creativity and play, so would require slightly brighter light to see what’s going on.
3. What space do I have?
Thinking about space is usually the most overlooked thing when it comes to lighting your home. We choose beautiful bedside table lamps which take up all the space on our side tables, or pendant lights which are so low you keep bumping your head! Making sure you have enough room for your chosen lighting should be taken into consideration.
4. What’s my budget?
Finally- don’t forget your budget! We could all fall in love with a Porta Romana lamp, but no one will be willing to remortgage to have one! Set yourself a budget for your lighting and stick to it. With so many options you’re bound to find a designer knock-off or beautiful simple design within your price range.
What’s Your Lighting Style?
Now you’ve worked out exactly what it is you require your light for, let’s take a look at a few different styles of lighting. Depending on your personal interior style, there are many options and combinations of lighting styles to create very different looks.
Minimalist homes will always be a thing, regardless of what other trends are current. A minimal style is
Our Carmel Floor Lamp is the perfect, simple addition to minimalist homes. With a smooth arch and subtle brass details, it will sit in any room of your home. Double up and use as statement bedside
For something smaller, the Teo Pendants and Table Lamps are the perfect pairing for clean kitchens and simple suites. The marble brings a touch of opulence while the brass highlight adds a touch of modern design.
For cool, Scandi inspired style, think about simple silhouettes and light colours. White is the go-to choice for Scandinavian interiors, promoting
Pair the Alma lamp with the Fiesta pendant to bring a pop of colour. Exposed bulbs are also a key feature of Scandi cool style, so opt for a statement bulb to add your own twist.
Ever stayed in a luxe boutique hotel and fell in love with the statement lamps and luxurious textures? Creating this look yourself is super easy! Think marble bases, chrome stands and oversized shades and you’re there!
The Casa range is ideal for creating a Boutique Luxe style. Position and pair of table lamps either end of a sideboard, or one your bedside tables for a symmetrical look. Alternatively, the stand alone floor lamp will add drama and an opulent feel to any living room or hallway.
Finally, with space at a premium, we are all trying to squeeze a little bit more into a little bit less. Be savvy with your lighting choices and opt for space saving solutions.
Play around with pendant lights instead of bedside lamps to keep surfaces clear and create a style statement. Or maybe choose a compact table lamp which is light and easy to move around if needs be. Compact styles such as the Felix and Pablo are perfect when perched on a stack of books or stand alone on your side tables.
Our Stylists Top Tip When Lighting Your Home
You are now fully clued up on your own interior style and how to use your new Danetti Lamps. Just incase, here’s a run down from our in-house interior stylist on how lighting can affect your home.
- Be sure to select the right style of lighting for your space. Task lamps work great in home offices, pendants in hallways and kitchens and table lamps as bedside lamps.
- Consider your personal style before selecting your lighting. Modern homes call for clean, simple lines. Avoid overly fussy shades or vintage styles to maintain your signature style.
- Bulbs should not be overlooked. Know the wattage of your bulbs and make sure you’re using them correctly. 80W should be used for task lighting, whereas 30W is more than enough for relaxation zones.
- Choose styles which will not date and are not too “trend” based. Tassle lamps may be big now, but in a couple years time, your simple marble lamp will be much more versatile than that hot pink velvet number.
- You can never have too many lamps. I have 6 lamps alone in my living room, each a slightly different style and giving off a slightly different light. This helps to create enough light to see efficiently, but not so harsh as to stop us from relaxing.
Show Us Your Style!
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- 4 Things You Need To Know About Interior Trends This SeasonSoft weaves, sweeping curves and rich textured grains are all the trend this season when it comes to interiors. We sat down with Danetti Designer, Damien to discover more about this season’s need-to-know tips.Read more
- Autumn Winter Home Décor: Adding texture to your homeThe change of season into Autumn and Winter is the perfect opportunity to restyle your interior. Changing things up can provide an instant room mood-booster and bringing in different textural elements through furniture, colours and accessories will add to the warmth factor of your home during this time of year.Read more
- Relaxing Interior Design: 3 Ways To Create a Relaxing Space at HomeSoft and neutral palettes, soothing fabrics and textures, and subtle signature detailing; it’s the perfect interior recipe for creating a home that feels like a sanctuary. We sat down with Danetti Designer, Francesca, to discover how you can easily create an aesthetic that feels comfortable, warm, and cosy.Read more
- Armchairs and Accents Chairs: How To Style Your Occasional ChairCreate your own reading corner, bring a cosy feeling to your living space, or add character to your bedroom with our collection of accent chairs and occasional chairs.Read more