1. A Firm Mattress Is Better For Your Back: FALSE
A mattress that is good for your back is one that supports your spine. When you are lying down, your spine should be straight – the springs need weight to engage them and support the contours of the body.
Spring engagement is when weight causes the springs to contract and release, pushing back against the sleeper and therefore giving the best support. A medium tension mattress is better suited to someone of an average weight and build, as the springs on a firm mattress won’t push back enough to give the right level of support. A good night’s sleep also depends on the position you sleep; if you’re a side sleeper, a medium tension mattress is more suitable to give an extra bit of squidge, putting less pressure on your joints and making you feel a lot more refreshed in the morning.
The firmness or ‘tension’ rating of your mattress is all dependant on the preference. Often when people say ‘i like a firm mattress’ what they are actually mean is that they like a mattress that is supportive, possibly because their current mattress isn’t. No one likes to feel like they sink right into their mattress. You want the comfort but with a level of support and it’s the support that is good for your back.
A great option for if you like a firmer comfort level is our Forever Wellness mattress. With a nested spring construction and multiple foam comfort layers, with varying densities, it’s designed to have a more supportive firmer feel.
2: A Tufted Top Mattress is More Comfortable: FALSE
This really is down to personal preference. A tufted top gives high ‘lofts’ of comfort, this is the most traditional mattress style top and what most people are probably used to.
Our most indulgent mattress with a deeply indulgent hand tufted top:
The alternatives to a tufted mattress are:
Quilted Top Mattress:This type of mattress offers a flatter feel compared to a tufted option; it would appeal to someone looking for an alternative to a memory foam mattress, moulding closely to the shape of your body with the extra comfort layers inside.
The Sumptuous Luxury Quilted Mattress is perfect if you like a luxurious topper on your mattress as you have this soft, topper-like feel built in.
A Pillow Top MattressA Pillow Top Mattress is almost like a mini mattress on top of your mattress. Our Ultimate Pillow Top Mattress has all the deep comfort and support of the most premium mattress but with shallower lofts. The Pillow top is made up of mini-springs resulting in a shallower tufted top, so you will feel peaks of comfort while still getting that extra support from the mini-springs.
3. More Springs Are Better: TRUE…ALMOST.
The more pocket springs your mattress has, the more support, resilience and weight distribution you will get. More springs means your mattress will retain its shape for longer, so you won’t find yourself unintentionally rolling into the centre. More springs also means that the weight will be distributed evenly. So if your partner moves in the night, you won’t be disturbed. Our new mattress range only uses pocket springs which are kept in place by their own individual ‘sock’ so every spring moves independently, ranging from the 1000 pocket spring Comfort Bliss to 2400 on our Boutique Opulence mattress, you know you’ll be getting a supportive night’s sleep with our mattresses.
TIP: Don’t be blinded by bold claims of high spring counts! The reason we don’t have a 5000 spring count mattress in our range is that over a certain level you cannot feel the benefit. That’s a fact! If you are thinking of choosing a high spring count mattress make sure you ask about construction – stacked spring layers can result in a high spring count (seems good, right?) but unless there is variation in tensions there is zero benefit to your comfort.
4. A Pillow-Top Mattress Will Be Too Hot: FALSEEveryone is different, we all regulate heat different levels. With a mattress, heat is generated through direct contact to the surface of the mattress and with some foam topped synthetic mattresses this heat increases further. However, our Ultimate Pillow-top mattress from our comfort mattress range has individual mini-springs and a wool layer. Don’t think of Wool as hot. Being natural, the wool is able to breathe and allows air to flow through the pillow-top meaning it won’t get too hot and will improve sleep for you.
5. A New Mattress Will Take Time To Get Used To: TRUE
As with a new pair of shoes, a new mattress will take some time to bed in (excuse the pun!). Remember, you’ve been sleeping on your old mattresses every day for years, it has moulded and contoured to your body shape. Your new mattress will settle too, this is perfectly normal and is a sign that your mattress is working properly. Similar to wearing in a new pair of shoes, it could take a couple of days or a couple of weeks, but we’re confident you’ll love our new support mattress range which are all handmade with love and care in the UK.
Published Date: October 2019
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Design Ideas: Brighten Up Your Bedroom with Our Top TipsThere are many ways you can brighten up your interior so that your room feels like a warm sanctuary escape in the winter months. Here are some easy ways to add some brightness into your bedroom.Read more
- Dining Room and Home Office Ideas: 6x Things You Need To Know About This SeasonFrom luxury materials to practical shapes and styles that are perfect for welcoming people back into your home, we sat down with our Danetti Dining and Home Office Expert, Johanna Rieser to get her exclusive insight on this season’s new collection.Read more
- Bedroom Trends: 5x Things You Need To Know About Our New CollectionFrom soft wood finishes and sumptuous fabrics, to why you should turn your bedroom into a sanctuary, we caught up with our Danetti bedroom expert, Kelly Harvey, to get the inside scoop on our new seasonal collection.Read more
- Enhancing Grey – What Colours Work Best With Grey?Grey is here to stay! Coined as the colour of the moment, the timeless and always trendy colour has been a fan favourite in the world of interior décor for quite some time. Check out our top palette pairings.Read more
- Modern Sofas: Style Tips and Décor EssentialsThe focal point of every living room, it’s important to invest time in finding the right sofa for your living space. From the size of your living room to the colour scheme, there are lots of factors to consider when styling your sofa as it’s a centrepiece, and one of the most used pieces furniture in your home. Here are our top tips for styling your sofa.Read more