Here in the interiors world we literally waited with baited breath for Pantone to announce the Colour of the Year 2016. Although it might seem slightly sad to get quite so excited about this particular news, it’s all relative if you work in the Interiors industry. It’s like The Oscars, but for colour. Well, not really – but you get my point.
Pantone, the colour authority and dominant trend forecaster choose the colour of the year every year. It is then this colour that influences everything from fashion and interiors even through to the appearance of food. This year Pantone gave us a bonus ‘gasp’ when they disclosed their choice – not one but two colours!
Rose Quartz and Serenity
This year’s colour choice is steeped in political and philosophical currents, with Pantone citing that this dual decision is about social progress not indecision. So, tell us more Pantone. What do you mean?
Well, for the first time ever we see a blend of two colours Rose Quartz (a baby blush pink) and Serenity ( a light sky blue). Pantone have illustrated the harmonious blend of colour on their website brilliantly. They appear to flow into each other so that its difficult to see where the merge takes place. Where does Rose Quartz begin and Serenity end? It’s a seamless union.
Why These Colours?
So, why choose 2 colour for colour of the year? Explaining their choice, Pantone commented on ‘societal movements toward gender equality and fluidity. The consumer’s increased comfort with using colour as a form of expression. A generation that has less concern about being typecast or judged and an open exchange of digital information that has opened our eyes to different approaches to colour usage.”
I like this idea! It is true that in recent years gender lines have blurred quickly. Stereotypes don’t really exist anymore. Even with children’s toys, clothes and decor, it’s less of the ‘pink for girls’ and ‘blue for boys’ and more of the ‘whatever floats your boat’. So perhaps the time has come to banish the girl/boy divide?
I like to think that Pantone are giving us a joining of colours that resemble our world and reflect social trends. To capture them in a shade that we can then move forward with into 2016. Leatrice Eiseman, the executive director of the Pantone Colour Institute, said: “Joined together, Rose Quartz and Serenity demonstrate an inherent balance between a warmer embracing rose tone and the cooler tranquil blue. As a result reflecting connection and wellness as well as a soothing sense of order and peace.”
The colour choice is timely and thoughtful, offering a combination of gentle colours. A message of gender equality as well as a soothing comfort in times of insecurity and global stress. These beautiful soft pastel colours work well with other tones and hues from the colour wheel, so don’t be afraid to combine them with other colours. For more information on how to mix and match the new Colours of the Year and integrate them into your home, check out the Rose Quartz and Serenity colour pairings created here for you by Pantone.
Here at Danetti, not wanting to honk our own horn, but as always, we had been watching the trend forecasts for quite a while and it is no accident that we introduced our Sky Blue Senn Colourful Dining Chair to our collection in the early Summer. Or that we have just taken delivery of our brand new Eames style chair colours which unsurprisingly includes the new Coral colourway. A stunning blush pink colour.
So what do the colours mean:
Rose Quartz is a soft pink shade, described by Pantone as ‘a persuasive yet gentle tone that conveys compassion and a sense of composure’.
Serenity is light blue, described as, ‘weightless and airy, like the expanse of the blue sky above us. Bringing feelings of respite and relaxation even in turbulent times’
It’s fascinating how nature puts these two colours together naturally in the colours of the sky on a weekly basis!
So, in conclusion, next time you see a beautiful sunset, look out for the marshmallow clouds and the pale blue sky. Watch as they merge and you’ll be enveloped with a feeling of peace, calm and unity….good choice on Rose Quarts and Serenity, Pantone! We love the 2016 colour of the year.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Design Ideas: Brighten Up Your Bedroom with Our Top TipsThere are many ways you can brighten up your interior so that your room feels like a warm sanctuary escape in the winter months. Here are some easy ways to add some brightness into your bedroom.Read more
- Dining Room and Home Office Ideas: 6x Things You Need To Know About This SeasonFrom luxury materials to practical shapes and styles that are perfect for welcoming people back into your home, we sat down with our Danetti Dining and Home Office Expert, Johanna Rieser to get her exclusive insight on this season’s new collection.Read more
- Bedroom Trends: 5x Things You Need To Know About Our New CollectionFrom soft wood finishes and sumptuous fabrics, to why you should turn your bedroom into a sanctuary, we caught up with our Danetti bedroom expert, Kelly Harvey, to get the inside scoop on our new seasonal collection.Read more
- Enhancing Grey – What Colours Work Best With Grey?Grey is here to stay! Coined as the colour of the moment, the timeless and always trendy colour has been a fan favourite in the world of interior décor for quite some time. Check out our top palette pairings.Read more
- Modern Sofas: Style Tips and Décor EssentialsThe focal point of every living room, it’s important to invest time in finding the right sofa for your living space. From the size of your living room to the colour scheme, there are lots of factors to consider when styling your sofa as it’s a centrepiece, and one of the most used pieces furniture in your home. Here are our top tips for styling your sofa.Read more