Open plan living is on the rise and it’s easy to see why! Transforming a room into a cosy, communal and inviting area is the epitome of modern living. However, we understand it can be a little daunting to work out a room plan when there are so many elements to consider. Well, fear not! Our 7 tips on zoning open plan living and dining room spaces is here to help. In this post, we’ll show you how to use various furniture pieces to create a sleek yet multi-functional open plan living area in your home.
Open Plan Living: 7 Top Tips
Although traditionally tucked away in a cosy corner of your living room, a corner sofa is an effortless way to create a subtle divide between an open plan kitchen and living area. The straight back will create the divide between the rooms while the corner element keeps the space looking connected and inviting.
2. Side Tables
An incredibly sleek and versatile way to zone your space is by using modular side table sets. This is because you can stack, store and style the tables to suit your space. You could group the tables together to create a focal point in your living area or separate the tables so there’s a handy surface by each seat.
3. Dining SetsFor an open plan kitchen and dining area, it’s key that your dining set looks inviting and welcoming. You don’t want the set to look a bit lost in the open space. To do this, opt for a rectangular table to mirror the shape of the room. Dining armchairs are a great option to increase the comfort factor and will give your set more presence in the space. If you can, try to coordinate your dining chairs with your breakfast bar seating. This will help to keep the look connected while the dining set itself remains in its own separate ‘zone’ of the space.
4. Dining Benches
Alternatively, if you don’t want to have you dining set in the centre of your space, a dining bench is perfect for creating a cosy dining corner. This is a great setting for an open plan room as it keeps the look communal and inviting while maximising your space. Pair your corner bench with a pedestal dining table for ease of movement and a truly sleek setting.
Create a real style statement in your space with free-standing shelves. An open back shelving unit, like the Aria Glass and White Oak Shelving Unit, can be used to create a clear separation in your space without needing to put up curtains or fake walls. The added bonus of an open back shelf is that it has accessible storage space from both sides. The openness will help to retain the wonderfully light and spacious qualities of an open plan room, while also giving you the option to easily move the shelf around when you feel like rearranging the layout of your room.
Like a shelving unit, a sideboard can be used for both zoning and storage. A perfect spot to style your sideboard would be behind your corner sofa (positioned as we mentioned earlier). Doing this will create a really neat and clear divide. A sideboard is not as big as a shelving unit, but it has more storage than a console table. This makes it an ideal fit for a variety of spaces. Opt for a sideboard with a white gloss finish to keep your room looking light and fresh.
7. Console Tables
Placed sideways, a console table can be used to differentiate between different zones. This could be a sleeping and living space in a studio flat or a combined living and dining area. Opt for a console if you’re a little pushed for space. Unlike a shelving unit or sideboard, a console table will take up less of your room. It also will have less of a visual impact in the space.
Show Us Your StyleHave you used any Danetti pieces to zone your space? We’d love to see! Show us your style by posting a picture on our Instagram or Facebook pages. Don’t forget to use the #mydanetti to be featured on our page.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more