When it comes to enhancing rooms in your home, the bedroom can always seem like an afterthought. Perhaps because it is not the first room that is stepped into when you have guests over, but it is equally as important to invest in because it is the place you go to when you need to relax and retreat.
There are so many ways you can turn your bedroom into a sleeping haven without the big price tag. By simply moving things around, investing in a couple of new pieces or changing accessories, you can create a whole new look and feel without too much time or money spent.
Here are some of our top tips on how you can give your bedroom a makeover for less:
- Mix colours together
There are three ways of playing around with colours in your bedroom – stick with one, keep it neutral with a pop of colour, or make a bold statement.
If your bedroom follows one colour scheme, find another shade or two that works well with it and add pieces in to create a dreamy pastel vibe or a fun and vibrant space.
If your bedroom follows a more neutral colour scheme such as greys and silvers, mixing in a blush pink through extra cushions, lampshades or even a centrepiece above the bed can create a cosy and homely feel.
If you want to make more of a bold statement against lighter neutral shades, accenting with peacock blue, ocean teals and mustard yellows can really add just the right amount of ‘cheeriness’ to a calming space.
- Add a mirror
Mirrors can make any room look bigger because they reflect and accent the light – whether that is natural light during the day or even artificial light at night. If your room is on the smaller side, simply hang one on the wall or angle one in a space to give the illusion of depth. Mirrors can also act as an imitation window if you pick a style that is framed or go for a design that looks like a windowpane, this will help to enhance the illusion of space.
- Play with textures and patterns
You can add visual interest to your bedroom by mixing in different textures and patterns through accessories and bedding. The focal point of a bedroom is of course the bed, so switching up your duvet, throw, or cushions can be such a simple change that makes a huge difference.
Here is a stylist tip for you – white bedding is the perfect backdrop for your bedroom décor. It will go with whatever cushions you have and any other shades or textures you want to incorporate, providing the perfect neutral and blank canvas to start with.
If you have not thought about accessorising your bed before, throwing on a printed pillow or blanket can transform the room. In the winter, adding a big cosy wool blanket or fluffy throw to your bed can not only keep you warm, but looks very cosy and inviting for those frosty nights!
You cannot beat rolling out of bed and stepping onto a luxuriously soft and warm rug, and this is another fun way to play with textures and pull the look and feel of the room together.
- Bring in your personality
Add a bit of you to your bedroom through accessories on the walls, side tables and dressers. If your walls are blank, hanging up artwork can make a style statement and add interest to the space.
Photographs are a great way of adding something personal to the room and investing in new frames can add life. You can even get creative by displaying them in all sorts of formats – string and pegs, fairy lights and ropes and beams are quirky ways of showcasing your memories and can also become a family fun DIY project. See Pinterest for some inspiration on how to do this!
You can also use your photos or prints to ‘frame’ your bed which adds to the comfort and cohesiveness of the space.
If you have any collectibles such as figures, or you have vases and candles, you can group these items on your dresser to create points of interest. It is best to group in threes and vary the heights to frame the space. A vase full of flowers on a side table would look bright and fresh.
To summarise – our top tips:
- Do not be afraid to play around with patterns or textures
- Updating your bedding, adding cushions, or buying a rug are simple ways of enhancing the room
- Mixing colours is such a simple way to bring a space to life
- If you have a small bedroom, simply adding a mirror can create the illusion of more space
- Add personality through art, photographs, and décor accessories
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Shop the set
Explore Our Blogs
- Bedroom Styling Tips with our Interior StylistWe've all seen how to style sideboard, coffee tables and shelves. But when it comes to bedroom styling, it's not enough just to get the furniture right. Styling your bedroom correctly will take it from good to great. It's these simple, homely touches that will finish off the room and add personality.Read more
- How to Declutter Your Bedroom and Get A Great Nights SleepWhen it comes to getting a good nights sleep we're all guilty of overlook the little things that make a huge difference. We show you how to create a dream bedroom and show you our top tips for a great nights sleep.Read more
- Luxury BedsNothing says luxury more than a grand, luxury headboard. Creating a statement in your bedroom has never been easier than with our NEW range of ottoman beds, each with a designer look, without the designer price tag! The Extended Headboard An extended, luxury headboard will create a focal point within your bedroom.Read more
- How To Pick The Perfect MattressIf there is one product you should love and invest in, it is your mattress. Did you know research shows that an uncomfortable mattress can rob you of up to an hour’s vital, restful sleep? Not what you need… it is time to relax and retreat to a comfortable bed after a long day. If […]Read more