We’ve all seen how to style a sideboard, coffee tables and shelves. But when it comes to bedroom styling, it’s not enough just to get the furniture right. Styling your bedroom correctly will transform it from a place just to sleep, to where you want to spend your time. It’s these simple, homely touches that will finish off your bedroom and add plenty of personality.
We’ve recently added a collection of beds to the Danetti family. So what better way to show you two different looks than with our new range of velvet beds! Available in Double, King and Superking, you’re bound to find the bed of your dreams.
Bedroom Styling Essentials
Before we get into interior bedroom trends, you need to know your styling basics. No bedroom is complete with the following:
- Decent Mattress
- High-Quality Duvet and Pillows
- Statement Bed (from Danetti)
- Soft furnishings
It may seem obvious, but without one of these elements, your room can feel stark, cold and very uninviting. Regardless of your personal interior style, these are the five must-haves when it comes to how to style a bed and bedroom.
Moody Bedroom Styling
A key trend for interiors right now is dark, moody and rich colours. By using a dark colour in the bedroom, you will create the illusion of more space. All the while creating a cosy, snug room you can’t wait to be in. Although the thought of painting your bedroom black can be scary, that doesn’t mean your room will feel gothic and dark.
Top Tip: Offset dark walls with white bedding and light textures. Choosing lighter elements will lift the room and make your chosen colour really stand out.
The Rene Bed in Midnight Velvet sits beautifully against our Black Blue wall, as the curves of the headboard pick up light and add depth and tone. If, for example, you had a dark blue fabric headboard against a nearly black wall, it could look flat and lacking in interest. The way the velvet picks up the light helps to show the shape of the bed, drawing your focus here, rather than the dark walls.
If black walls aren’t for you, look at dark greys, berries, browns or blues to create the same look. Just be sure to complement the colour of your chosen bed. It’s easier to paint your walls than buy a new bed!
Bedroom Styling Tips
When you come to simple bedroom decorating ideas and adding that personal touch, remember to follow these top styling rules:
- Stick to a minimal colour palette. When you have a statement bed, you don’t want your styling to overpower your headboard. Choose colours within the same shade to create a complementary look and create a serene setting.
- You can’t beat fresh white sheets. White sheets are a classic. When you want your bed to stand out, keep bedding simple. Add a couple of tonal cushions for an added element of colour- but simple is always best.
- Clash your textures. Velvet beds are beautiful and look super luxe. However, if you’re after a softer, more relaxed look, balance the smoothness of velvet with a chunky knit and cool metallics like brass and copper. These metallic finishes will lift the styling and add a layer of luxe.
- Mimic shapes. Where the Rene bed has an Art Deco-inspired curved headboard, we’ve chosen the Pablo table lamps as our bedside lights. The spherical shade and arched marble base mimic the shape of the Rene bed, tying the look together. The marble texture also adds another modern art deco vibe.
- Less is always more. Feel free to add pictures of your loved ones and the typical alarm clocks and beauty products to your bedside tables. Just remember to keep things clear. The more bits and bobs you have on display, the more cluttered your bedroom will feel. Invest in trendy boxes or side tables with drawers to hide all those unsightly necessities. Tidy room, tidy mind.
Bright and Breezy Bedroom Styling
Dark walls aren’t for everyone. Dark rooms will feel cosy in the evenings, however, if you struggle to wake up in the mornings, think about a clean, bright white bedroom. This way you will keep light bouncing around your room, and introduce colour through your furniture, rather than walls.
Our second bedroom decor look differs from the Rene bed in almost every way, except for one thing; the statement velvet headboard. Available in Teal, Ochre or Pepper Grey Velvet, our Mellow bed is the most perfect way to inject a splash of colour into a white bedroom. Whether you’re a fan of a clean, scandi style, or a more eclectic, vintage look, the Mellow bed suits any interior style.
Top Tip: Pendant lights work great as bedside lamps. They will keep your side tables clear while creating a style statement.
Choosing a bright colour for your bed is an effortless way to bring an interior designer look to your bedroom. Let the bed be the focus, and keep your soft furnishings subtle and tonal. The shape of the Mellow bed with its smooth, sweeping velvet headboard lends itself perfectly to versatile, constantly changing interiors.
One of our favourite features of the Mellow bed is the rich colour palette. You can play with different colour combination with your soft furnishings to change things up as often as you like. As homewares tend to be more reasonably priced than a bed, you can afford to be a bit more adventurous with your colour combinations. Here are a few of our bedroom styling colour suggestions:
- Teal: Combine teal with cherry reds, navy blues and highlights of brass. The Navy will compliment the Teal, while the pop of red will be your accent colour. Mix and match textures and prints for a real eclectic look.
- Ochre: Pair this soft mustard yellow with burnt orange, soft grey and graphic black and white textures. Ochre and orange complement each other while the grey will tone down the look. Monochrome textures will add a level of depth to your bedroom decor.
- Pepper Grey: Possibly the most versatile colour of the Mellow bed is the Pepper Grey. The world is your oyster with this one, however, we would suggest adding a bit of colour to your bedroom decor. Play with forest greens and dusky pinks for an on-trend style with a hint of vintage glamour. Add elements of brass and marble for a true luxe look.
Bedroom Styling Tips
Styling a white bedroom gives you the freedom to choose any colour or accessory your inner stylist desires. These are some of our Stylist’s top tips for decorating a simple bedroom:
- Play with proportions. When styling a king size bed, you need to be aware of proportions. Avoid an expanse of bed linen by breaking it up with throws and cushions.
- Choose classic wall art. There are many online websites where you can buy cheap prints. These are great if you want to update your home regularly, however you cannot go wrong with a classic art print. Be it an Andy Warhol Tomato Soup print, or maybe a vintage poster you picked up from a flea market. These are the treasures with meaning behind them and are unlikely to date. Keep wall art to a minimum in the bedroom, and remember to stick to a classic.
- Wooden floors need a rug. It’s a big trend at the moment to pull up the carpets and show of your exposed floorboard (if you’re lucky enough to have them). However, this can make your bedroom feel cold, so always ensure you have a rug in your bedroom. You can choose an area rug, to sit under and around the base of your bed, or a couple of runners either side, just to keep your toes toasty on cold mornings.
- Warm things up. As we get into the winter months, make your bedroom a snuggly, hygge space with chunky knits and sheepskin rugs. It’s these soft elements which will create that cosy cocoon you won’t want to leave.
- Style your bedside tables simply. Don’t over-do the bedside table decor. Choosing hanging pendant lights will keep your table top clear, although this doesn’t mean you have more space for clutter! A simple stack of your fave books, a pretty vase and a relaxing candle should be more than enough.
Show us your style!
We hope you love our new range of beds, although, we’ve only shown you two! We have a whole range of newness for you to see right here. Tell us which bed you would choose and how you’d style it. Don’t forget to tag us in your #mydanetti shots on Facebook and Instagram, and we hope you too will create a calm and relaxing bedroom.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.