A dining bench set is a simple but really effective way to update your dining space. Comfortable, efficient and flexible, after reading this post you’ll wonder why you hadn’t considered a dining bench set sooner! Whether you have a formal dining area or a casual kitchen/dining room space, a dining bench would be a very smart choice. So, let us take you through the different shapes and styles of kitchen bench, the measurements you really shouldn’t miss, and the matching dining tables that will create a stunning dining bench set in your home.
Why Choose a Dining Bench Set?
A dining bench set may seem a big jump from having traditional dining chair seating in your home. But when chosen with the shape and size of your room in mind, a dining bench really can work wonders in a space. Here are a couple of reasons why we think dining benches are a smart choice for your home:
- It’s more economical: this, of course, depends on how large your table is, but the cost of your dining chairs can really add up. A dining bench will allow you to seat just as many, if not more, all on one cosy seat.
- It’s a more versatile seating arrangement: whether you opt for a backless bench, a bench with a back or a corner unit, a dining bench will allow you to really transform your dining area. You could also pair a dining bench alongside dining chairs for a mix and match seating setting.
- It saves space: you can often tuck a backless dining bench under the table and out of the way if you need more floor space, making a backless bench a great space saver. With a dining bench you can also seat a couple more when you have guests over for dinner, so you don’t need to pull up any extra dining chairs or huddle around the table.
How To Measure Your Dining Bench Set:
If you’re choosing a premade dining set, all the bench shapes and table sizes will be matched for you. However, it’s still good to know your key measurements and how much space you’ll need in your kitchen or dining room.
Bench Sizing Checklist:
- Seat back height (which is all the way to the top if your bench has a backrest).
- Seat height (from floor to the seat). A comfortable seat height should be around 45cm, the same as a dining chair.
- Bench depth (this is from the very front to the very back of the bench)
- Seat depth (from front of the seat to as far back as you can sit)
- Bench length (this will help you decide how many you’ll be able to sit comfortably)
Top Tip: If you’re planning to put your bench against a wall be sure to check that it fits with any panelling, radiators or window sills.
Table Measuring Checklist:
- Height of the table
- Table length
- Length of the table with extensions (if applicable)
- Table measurement from between the legs (not just the table top).
Top Tip: You should aim for your bench to be roughly the table measurement from between the legs, or minus 5-10cm if you want to tuck the bench underneath the table.
Dining Bench Shapes and Sizes
There are a whole variety of benches available, so it’s key to pick one that’s right for you and your space. Dining benches are a great opportunity to really make the most of your dining area and transform its look. Here are our dining bench top picks and what features you should look out for.
Full-Length Dining Benches
Great For: maximizing the seats around the table.
A full-length kitchen bench does what it says on the tin – it needs to be the full length of your dining table. This style of bench works especially well with pedestal dining tables or where the table legs aren’t set at each of the four corners, as you can neatly tuck the bench in while still maximising your space. That’s not to say a full-length kitchen bench doesn’t look great alongside a table with legs, just consider how you will be able to sit on the bench and if the table legs are in the way.
Tucked in Dining Benches
Great For: space saving and a neat compact look.
To be able to tuck your bench underneath a table with legs, the bench will need to fit the ‘inside leg length’ measurement of the table rather than the length of the tabletop. You’ll also want to leave about 5-10cm for clearance to avoid bumping into the legs every time the bench is pulled in and out.
Top Tip: Whether you have your bench tucked in or at the full length of your table, we recommend that you allow enough space so that when you are sitting on the bench, the front of the bench is in line with the front of the table. This applies to corner benches as well as it will give you the optimum comfort while seated. You may prefer to have a more tucked in seating position, but this will make sure that you always have enough room.
Corner Dining Benches
Great For: creating a cosy dining corner.
Corner dining benches are designed mainly to suit tables with pedestal legs, such as our Sanza and Aria tables. That’s not to say that they can’t work with tables with legs though! In this case, you’ll really need to consider your sizing and check there’s enough space to fit around the table legs and be seated comfortably.
Top Tip: It’s called left-hand dining bench because the longer side is on the left and a right-hand dining bench because the longer side is on the right!
Benches with a Backrest
Great For: comfortable and versatile dining.
Clean-lined and simple, a straight back bench offers more back support as you can lean back when you are seated. Benches with a back create more of a visual impact in a room, which is great if you’ve got the space and are really looking to add a style statement in your dining interior. A dining bench with a back also allows you to squeeze on a couple more, even if seating does become more snug!
Great For: opening up the look and feel in your dining area.
Backless dining benches are great for opening up your dining space as, without a back, they have less of a visual impact in the room. They’re also great space savers too; if you select a bench size that’s smaller than the inside leg length of your table, you can neatly tuck the bench away when it’s not in use. Backless benches are also that bit lighter and easy to move.
Perfect Pairings: Matching Dining Tables and Benches
One of the many great things about a dining bench is that it can be styled alongside a variety of dining tables. Whether you choose to tie your set together by shape, colour or size, you’ll be able to find a perfect pairing for your space. Here are our top styling picks when it comes to styling a dining bench set:
A Cosy Corner
A corner nook is a perfect opportunity to have a corner bench in your home. A corner bench will really make the most of an awkward corner and turn into a cosy and communal dining spot. Alternatively, you can use a corner bench to section off a dining area in an open plan kitchen or kitchen/dining area. Our range of Loop 5 and 7 seater left and right-hand corner benches would work a treat!
More to Seat?
A dining bench is a great match with an extending dining table, as with a bench you can be a bit more flexible with your seating, even if it does become a slightly more snug! This is an ideal dining bench set option if you want the flexibility of a table extension but don’t have the space to store extra chairs when they are not in use.
A great way to make your new dining bench set look right at home is to coordinate it with other furniture pieces in your space. This ties the whole look together - for example, by breaking up any darker finishes with other colours, it keeps the space looking light and modern.
Care and Cleaning
Chances are, you’ll be using your dining benches daily. This is why we recommend doing a light, regular clean of your benches. This will help to keep away any marks caused by day to day use, keeping your bench looking newer for longer.
Faux Leather Dining Benches
When it comes to cleaning any marks and spills caused by food and drink, step away from the bleach! Bleach is a harsh chemical cleaner that will just damage the leather rather than help to clean it. Instead, opt for gentler cleaner agents such as a dab of mild detergent like washing-up liquid on a soft, slightly dampened cloth. Apply a gentle amount of pressure and move in a circular motion. Then with a dry cloth, wipe the faux leather to remove any excess moisture.
Chrome Dining Bench Legs
For the chrome base or legs of your dining bench, we advise using soap and water on a soft cloth, and if the mark still doesn’t go away, try adding a splash of vinegar. This will help to give your cleaning that extra boost. Waxing chrome after cleaning will help to keep its high shine for even longer. Avoid using abrasive materials on your chrome dining table or benches. Any scratches caused can potentially expose the material to the air, subsequently resulting in rusting over time.
Brushed Metal Bench Legs
Much like chrome, all you need to clean brushed metal or stainless steel is a mix of warm water and mild dishwashing detergent. For those harder to remove marks, window cleaner or a solution that’s half water and half white vinegar works a treat! Alternatively, you can use baby oil on a paper towel, being sure to buff away any excess solution with a dry, microfibre cloth. Dust your brushed metal bench legs regularly to keep it looking newer for longer.
Black Powder Coated Bench Legs
So, have we convinced you that a dining bench set would be a great addition to your home?
We hope so! If you’d like more information on bench sizing and styling, we highly recommend taking a look at our all-you-need-to-know Dining Bench Sizing Blog Post.
Show Us Your Style!
Already have a Danetti bench, table (or both!) in your space? We’d love to see! Show us your style by posting a picture on our Facebook or Instagram pages. Don’t forget to #mydanetti.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more