How To Choose Your Perfect Dining Bench
A dining bench set is a simple but really effective way to update your dining space. Comfortable, spacious and flexible, after reading this post you’ll wonder why you hadn’t considered a dining bench set sooner! Whether you have a formal dining area or a casual kitchen-diner, a dining bench is a smart choice. So, let us take you through the different shapes and styles of a kitchen bench, the measurements you really shouldn’t miss and the matching dining tables that will create a stunning dining bench set in your home.
Why Choose a Dining Bench Set?
A dining bench set may seem a big jump from having traditional dining chair seating in your home. But when chosen with the shape and size of your room in mind, a dining bench really can work wonders in a space. Here are a couple of reasons why we think dining benches are a smart choice for your home:
- It’s more economical: this, of course, depends on how large your table is, but the cost of your dining chairs can really add up. A dining bench will allow you to seat just as many, if not more, all on one cosy seat.
- It’s a more versatile seating arrangement: whether you opt for a backless bench, a bench with a back or a corner unit, a dining bench will allow you to really transform your dining area. You could also pair a dining bench alongside dining chairs for mix and match seating.
- It saves space: you can often tuck a backless dining bench under the table and out of the way if you need more floor space, making a backless bench a great space saver. With a dining bench you can also seat a couple more when you have guests over for dinner, so you don’t need to pull up any extra dining chairs.
Opt for one of our predefined bench sets and all the shapes and table sizes will be matched for you. However, it’s still good to know your key measurements and how much space you’ll need in your kitchen or dining room.
If you’re planning on positioning your bench against the wall, be sure to measure the backrest height to check that it fits with any panelling, radiators or windowsills.
When choosing the length, consider how many people you plan to seat, remember for parties and get-togethers you can always squeeze one or two extra on a corner bench.
You should aim for your bench to be roughly the table measurement from between the legs, or minus 5-10cm if you want to tuck the bench underneath the table.
When trying to work out if your bench set will fit into your space, calculate the total footprint based on the bench aligned with the edge of the table. This will give everyone enough room to get to their seat, and you can always move the bench in if you prefer a more tucked-in position.
Dining Bench Shapes and Sizes
There are a whole variety of benches available, so it’s key to pick one that’s right for you and your space. Dining benches are a great opportunity to really make the most of your dining area and transform its look. Take a look at our full range of benches here.
Full-Length Dining Benches
Great For: maximizing the seats around the table.
A full-length kitchen bench does what it says on the tin – it needs to be the full length of your dining table. This style of bench works especially well with pedestal dining tables or where the table legs aren’t set at each of the four corners, as you can neatly tuck the bench in while still maximising your space. That’s not to say a full-length kitchen bench doesn’t look great alongside a table with legs, just consider how you will be able to sit on the bench and if the table legs are in the way. The Sanza Dining Table and the Mellow Dining Bench is the perfect example of this, and if you needed extra space, pop a couple of Form blush pink chairs at either end.
Tucked in Dining Benches
Great For: space saving and a neat compact look.
To be able to tuck your bench underneath a table with legs, the bench will need to fit the ‘inside leg length’ measurement of the table rather than the length of the tabletop. You’ll also want to leave about 5-10cm for clearance to avoid bumping into the legs every time the bench is pulled in and out.
Alternatively, opt for a pedestal table so you don’t need to worry about the bench fitting in between the table legs. Check out the Mia and Ophelia bench set.
Corner Dining Benches
Great For: creating a cosy dining corner.
Corner dining benches are designed mainly to suit tables with pedestal legs, such as our Sanza, Mia and Camillo tables. That’s not to say that they can’t work with tables with legs though! In this case, you’ll really need to consider your sizing and check there’s enough space to fit around the table legs and be seated comfortably. The Mellow corner bench is ideal for a cosy family dining space, whilst the Loop Corner set is perfect for those who entertain a lot.
Left Handed – Longer side is on the left
Right Handed – Longer side is on the right.
Dining Bench with Backrest
Great For: comfortable and versatile dining.
Clean-lined and simple, a straight back bench offers more support as you can lean back when you are seated. Benches with a back create more of a visual impact in a room, which is great if you’ve got the space and are really looking to add a style statement in your dining interior. A dining bench with a back also allows you to squeeze on a couple more, even if seating does become more snug!
Great For: opening-up the look and feel in your dining area.
Backless dining benches are great for opening-up your dining space as, without a back, they have less of a visual impact in the room. They’re also great space savers too; if you select a bench size that’s smaller than the inside leg length of your table, you can neatly tuck the bench away when it’s not in use. Backless benches are also that bit lighter and easy to move.
Pairing a backless bench with a bench with backrest is a great way to balance out your dining room while allowing maximum style points.
One of the many great things about a dining bench is that it can be styled alongside a variety of dining tables and seating options. Whether you choose to tie your set together by shape, colour or size, you’ll be able to find a perfect pairing for your space. Take a look at our range of dining bench sets here.
A Cosy Corner
A corner nook is a perfect opportunity to have a corner bench in your home. A corner bench will really make the most of an awkward space and turn it into a cosy and communal dining spot. Alternatively, you can use a corner bench to section off a dining area in an open plan kitchen-diner. Our range of Dover left and right-hand corner benches would work a treat!
The Right Finish For You
Our broad range of benches are available in luxe velvet upholstery or premium quality faux leather. Two very different looks, both contemporary and stylish. Velvet gives an opulent look and feel to your space and whilst it’s easier to clean than you may think, you may opt for faux leather if you’re concerned about maintaining the look. Our benches are available with black, brass, brushed stainless steel or chrome legs, so you’ll easily be able to find something to coordinate with your dining table.
A great way to make your new dining bench set look right at home is to coordinate it with other furniture pieces in your space. The Mellow blush velvet benches coordinate with the Form Blush Cantilever chairs, if you want to mix and match your benches and chairs. The Bay chairs create a really impactful look with the Mellow benches, or take a look at the Ophelia benches paired with the Form Grey Dining chairs. For an extra seat or to carry the look through to your living room our Plaza footstools are available in coordinating silver grey, blush pink and sapphire blue.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Shop the set
Explore Our Blogs
- 8 Top Tips on How to Furnish a New Build Home: A New Homeowner’s Ultimate GuideJust moved into a new build home? Chances are you'll need some new furniture! Our 8 Top Tips on How to Furnish a New Build Home will help you transform your new space, making it look and feel like home in no time.Read more
- Liquid error (snippets/responsive-image line 41): invalid url inputChoosing a dining room chair: the Danetti guideChoosing dining room chairs can be tricky. Here at Danetti, we want to help you find something that is both stylish and fuctional. Read our guide to choosing the perfect dining room chair for youRead more
- Liquid error (snippets/responsive-image line 41): invalid url inputChoosing a dining room table: the Danetti guideA well-chosen dining room table can become a focal point for your home. A place where you and your nearest and dearest can gather each evening, and where you can entertain. Our ten-point questionnaire will help you discover which is the right dining table for your homeRead more
- Liquid error (snippets/responsive-image line 41): invalid url inputChoosing The Right Dining FurnitureWith good food, good company and comfortable furniture, I’m sure that we all would agree the most important and enjoyable part of the day is sitting down to dine, whether it be with family or friends. Finding a dining table and dining chairs that can fit well in your dining space can be challenging. So […]Read more
- Modern Coffee Tables: 4x Things You Need To Know When StylingOur expert stylist, Katie, has shared her top styling tips and interior knowledge so that you’ve got all the info you need to find the perfect coffee table for your space.Read more