Buying a bed is a big investment for your home – and it’s where we spend most of our time too. With most of us spending between 7 to 9 hours a night curled up under the covers, you’ll want to make sure the bed you choose is as comfortable, supportive and long-lasting as it can be. If you’re a little overwhelmed by the number of contemporary beds available, take a look at our bed buying tips and you’ll be choosing the perfect piece in no time!
Double, King or Super King?
|AVG. SIZE||4ft6 UK Double. 135cm x 190cm / 4’6 x 6’3″||5ft UK King size. 150cm x 200cm / 5′ x 6’6″||6ft UK Super King size. 180cm x 200cm / 6′ x 6’6″|
A double bed is a great size for a spare room or as an upgrade from a single bed in a room where space is a little limited. Double beds can comfortably fit two people and is a popular choice.
King Size Bed
If you’ve got the space, consider a king size bed frame. A traditional king size bed may be too bulky for a small bedroom, however, they do offer that extra bit of sleeping and potential storage space.
Super King Size Bed
The extra inches of a super king size bed frame will not only keep you well supported, it also gives you and your sleeping partner that extra bit of room to move around and get comfortable without disturbing one another.
Top Tip: If you’re upgrading your bed size, think about your bedding! A king size isn’t too much bigger than a double, so you might be able to pass. However, if jumping from a double to super king size beds you’ll need some new sheets.
Consider Your Space:
It’s best to leave a minimum of 76cm at all sides of your bed so you can get around it comfortably. This will also allow enough room for bedside tables, wardrobe/cabinets, doors to open etc.
Could you downsize your current bedframe to make more use of your room? Or upsize if you have space? Consider what’s more important, extra flooring or extra room in bed.
If you don’t yet have a bed in your room, get a feel for the sizing by using masking tape or a piece of cardboard to mark out where it’ll sit.
Questions to Ask Before You Buy:
- Does the bed come with a headboard?
- Are there storage options?
- What’s my budget?
- Do I have space to open the storage options?
- How will the bed be delivered – fully assembled, or is assembly needed?
- Is a mattress included?
- What does the bed’s guarantee cover, and for how long?
- Will it fit through my door?
If you need a new mattress, make the most of our exclusive offer: buy any bed with any mattress and get £100 of your order total. Check out our mattress buying guide here if you need a little help with picking that too.
Choosing Your Bed Frame
Height: The height of the frame and the mattress will affect how easy it is to get in and out of the bed. Whether you’re thinking of going for a small double bed for practicality, or a king size headboard for dramatic styling, there’s no right or wrong, just what suits you and your space.
Headboards: A tall headboard will add both impact and grandeur to any bedroom interior, whereas a shorter headboard will help to open up the space. Contemporary beds are available in a variety of designs so you can really have some fun with your styling.
Structure: No one wants a bed that feels wobbly or creaky every time someone rolls over! That’s why it’s important to check the bedframe. Ask yourself:
- How is it constructed?
- What’s holding it in place?
- What materials have been used?
A selection of our contemporary beds are constructed of bowed beech slats. These then slot into place onto aluminium base rails, using sturdy plastic fittings to support your mattress. This helps to keep it in the most supportive and comfortable position. It’s factors like this that ensure you’re choosing a supportive and quality bed, so they’re important to check.
Flooring: beds are weighty pieces of furniture so you’ll want to protect the flooring underneath. Floor protectors on the feet, or having a rug or carpet are all simple solutions to keep your flooring looking its best.
Top Tip: When it comes to assembling a slat frame bed, pre-assemble your bed slats and then put the bed together, rather than attaching them one by one when the frame is in place. This will save both time and effort!
Contemporary Beds & Simple Storage
Everyday Access vs Longer Storage
What you want to store in your bed will help you choose the type of storage you need. If you’re looking to house clothes you regularly need, opt for a bed with drawers as this allows for easy access
Items you want to store for longer periods of time, like winter coats and bedding, would be better stored in an ottoman bed as this offers more support and space.
The great thing about our range is we offer various options from a double ottoman bed to a king size ottoman bed to suit your taste, space and needs.
Top Tip: With a fixed frame bed, consider the height from the floor to the underside of the bed as this may allow for space for storage underneath.
Snooze in Style
Once you know your sizing, you can move onto the fun stuff- the styling! And with our Stylist’s bedroom cheatsheet, creating a cosy bedroom interior couldn’t be easier….
- Stick to a minimal colour palette – Choose colours within the same shade to create a complementary look and create a serene setting.
- You can’t beat fresh white sheets – you can then add a couple of tonal cushions for an added element of colour- but simple is always best.
- Clash your textures – for example, balance the smoothness of velvet with a chunky knit and cool metallics like brass and copper for an effortlessly trendy and designer look.
- Less is always more – The more bits and bobs you have on display, the more cluttered your bedroom will feel. Invest in trendy boxes or side tables with drawers to hide all those unsightly necessities. Tidy room, tidy mind.
- Play with proportions – Avoid an expanse of bed linen by breaking it up with throws and cushions.
- Wooden floors need a rug – You can choose an area rug, to sit under and around the base of your bed, or a couple of runners either side, just to keep your toes toasty on cold mornings.
- Warm things up with chunky knits and sheepskin rugs. You don’t want your bedroom to feel cold and uninviting.
- Style your bedside tables simply – a simple stack of your favourite books, a pretty vase and a relaxing candle should be more than enough.
Care & Cleaning
Velvet Bed Frame
Velvet upholstery is far easier to clean and maintain than you may think. Firstly, the 100% polyester short pile velvet we use for our range of furniture has been rub tested to 40,000 rubs, so you know it’s far from delicate. It’s best to act as soon as a spill occurs, as it’s far easier to clean velvet before the mark sinks through to penetrate the base cloth.
To wipe away marks, use an absorbent cloth or paper towel to soak up the spillage. Dab the surface rather than rubbing as this will better soak up the liquid.
To clean your velvet furniture, all you need to use is a soft cloth and some warm soapy water, wiping the fabric in a circular motion.
Then, leave the material to air dry or use a hair dryer to speed up the process.
You can also vacuum your velvet upholstery by using the handheld nozzle. This will better collect any dust or bits that have been caught up in the pile. Be sure to use the upholstery attachment on your vacuum as this will be much softer on your velvet and avoid any unwanted marks.
If you feel your velvet upholstery has lost a bit of its sheen, have no fear. You can use a steamer to restore its signature shine by keeping the nozzle moving across the velvet at a moderate pace. Move in the direction of the nap and hold the steamer about an inch away from the fabric for the best results.
Once completely dry, brush the material in the direction of the nap using a soft-bristled hairbrush. We also suggest regularly brushing your velvet bed frame with a velvet brush or soft clothes brush, going in the direction of the nap.
Fabric Bed Frame
Our melange fabric bed frames are upholstered in a fabric made from single or spun melange yarn. You can tell it apart from other multi-coloured or dyed fabrics as you can see varying colour flecks, rather than it being one solid colour.
Spot cleaning your bed frame is probably your best option, as it’s unlikely you’ll need to go ahead and deep clean the whole frame. To do this:
- For any small little marks, you can usually clean them off with some warm soapy water- as long as you catch them quick enough! Put 1 tablespoon of dish soap (such as Fairy) into 2 cups of warm water.
- Take a clean white cloth and dab it into your soapy water. Pat over the stain (don’t rub) and use a dry white cloth to absorb the water. Repeat this 3-4 times until stain has gone.
- If you have a slightly more stubborn stain, then try adding 1x tablespoon of white vinegar into your soapy solution. White vinegar is a great household cleaner and can be used in all sorts of cleaning solutions. Don’t worry about the vinegar smell, as this will disappear once dry
So There You Have It!
If you feel like you need a lie down after all that information, why not take a look at the Danetti Bedroom Range and see what your home is missing! If it’s bedroom styling you’re after, be sure to take a look at Bedroom Styling Tips with our Interior Stylist.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Shop the set
- Bedroom Styling Tips with our Interior StylistWe've all seen how to style sideboard, coffee tables and shelves. But when it comes to bedroom styling, it's not enough just to get the furniture right. Styling your bedroom correctly will take it from good to great. It's these simple, homely touches that will finish off the room and add personality.Read more
- Give your bedroom a new look for lessWhen it comes to enhancing rooms in your home, the bedroom can always seem like an afterthought. Perhaps because it is not the first room that is stepped into when you have guests over, but it is equally as important to invest in because it is the place you go to when you need to […]Read more
- How to Declutter Your Bedroom and Get A Great Nights SleepWhen it comes to getting a good nights sleep we're all guilty of overlook the little things that make a huge difference. We show you how to create a dream bedroom and show you our top tips for a great nights sleep.Read more
- How To Pick The Perfect Mattress
If there is one product you should love and invest in, it is your mattress. Did you know research shows that an uncomfortable mattress can rob you of up to an hour’s vital, restful sleep? Not what you need… it is time to relax and retreat to a comfortable bed after a long day. If […]