In the previous post of Airbnb Basic for Beginners, we covered the key pieces of information you need when starting to host on Airbnb, and how to get the best listing for your home. We also gave you our top interior tips for the best type of furniture to kit your home out in, and the key features for practicality and durability.
In this post, we’re going to look at the most appealing colour schemes for your home and give you a few cost-effective storage solutions, all to keep your home stylish and desirable on Airbnb.
How to use Colour in your Home
When making your home appealing to potential guests, it’s really important to consider the colours you use. If you have a look through what Airbnb has to offer, I guarantee the spaces that appeal most to you are those where colour has been carefully considered.
If you do a quick Google search you can find so many tips on which colours to use in each room and the importance of getting this right, not only for aesthetics but your mood too! Take a look at our top 5 tips on how to decorate your home like a pro!
- Create a soothing colour palette. Neutral colours are the standard when creating a serene interior, but we’re not talking 50 shades of beige. Stick to cool colours like greys, blues and play with different tones of white.
- Bright and airy interiors are more sought after as your house will look larger and give off the feeling of tranquillity- exactly what Airbnb guests are looking for!
- Once you have your base colour palette, you can begin to furnish your home with complementary colours. It’s always wise to keep your key items such as dining tables and sofas neutral and have fun with the smaller more inexpensive items.
- Keep a theme running throughout your home. By all means, the kitchen can be decorated in a more lively manner, and the living room more calming, but try to stick to similar colours so walking from one room to the next feel seamless.
- When undertaking a home makeover, don’t choose a colour which is too bold or too trend focused, unless you want to be re-painting your home twice a year! Always go for timeless colours, that way you’ll attract a wider audience and won’t need to renovate yearly.
- Keep the chill out zones as chill out zones. Nobody wants to unwind in a bright purple and orange living room. Promote a feeling of tranquillity by using blues. Introduce subtle touches in your smaller furniture pieces and soft furnishings.
Using Colour in your Airbnb
Now you know the key factors on how to use colour in your Airbnb home, we’re going to give you some examples of quick and cost-effective home updates. Just to make sure you nail hosting on Airbnb! We will focus on the calming colour pallet of Powder Blues, White, Greys and a touch of warmth through the use of wood.
It’s no secret that your kitchen is usually the hub of the home. It is a constant hive of activity! You’re either cooking for the family, having drinks with friends, having a cup of coffee in the mornings or rummaging for a midnight snack. For this reason, we can be more playful with the colours we use in our kitchens. The more activity, the more colour!
Our Aver Oak and White Extending Dining Table is a great option for Airbnb homes as its extension leaf tucks neatly inside the table, so no need to extra storage. Most notably though are the Finn chairs which bring all the feels, which come as part of the set. Available in 11 colours, the Finn Dining chairs are plastic, durable and easy clean, and will sit in any existing, or new home interior!
What we love most about this 4 – 8 seater extending dining set is the calming tones of Aqua and Steel Blue balanced out with White. Keep the rest of the room neutral and play with textures to add more depth and style.
Alternatively, you could try an earthy colour palette of Taupe, Brick Red, White and Taupe Grey, but play with the proportions of each colour. The more Bright Red, the moodier the feeling. However, More Taupe and White with just a hint of Brick red will create a calmer kitchen with a hint of warmth.
Opposite to your kitchen, your living room needs to be more calming as this is usually where you’ll unwind in the evening. Play around with your soft furnishings and more affordable pieces of furniture, such as side tables. As side tables tend to be more cost-effective, you’re able to update these as you update your interior style.
Keep your investment pieces, such as your sofa, in a more neutral colour so it will fit with your ever-changing colour scheme for years and years. However, if you do decide to pick a colourful sofa, be sure it is one you love and will be happy to live with. Never choose a sofa because it’s on trend! Choose a piece you love and it’s sure to last.
Add a touch of colour to your home by using this calming Powder Blue. It will add warmth and promote feelings of tranquillity. Along with the reflective finish, this high gloss side table is a steal at under £100. Say you love this colour, but don’t feel adventurous enough to purchase coloured furniture. Try adding a splash to your walls! Dulux’s colour of the year 2017 Denim Drift is a perfect option for updating your living room while nailing 2017 colour trends.
If you’re a fan of more luxurious interiors, perhaps introduce colour into a real stand out piece of furniture. By keeping the majority of your home simple and having one statement piece, you can create a real focal point.
The Luxe Chaise comes in a variety of colour options, including this deep Smoked Blue. The Chesterfield quilted style gives you an abundance of luxury style, while the Chaise is just a wonderful statement in itself. Feeling really adventurous? The Luxe Range also comes in the most fantastic Mustard Yellow!
If you wanted a really dramatic look, pair the Mustard Luxe Range with dark blue walls and Walnut highlights for an opulent, traditional room with a modern twist. Not one for the fainthearted!
Cool and Convenient
When it comes to managing an Airbnb property from a distance, or letting out your home while you’re away, it’s hard to keep tabs on any little spills or thrills. That’s why stackable dining chairs are such a great idea. A must have when it comes to rental properties.
Our Riva Fabric Dining Chairs come in 7 colours and are ideal for Airbnb homes. Say you’re going away for the weekend and don’t want any potential damage your pricey real leather dining chairs. Keep a spare set of stackable dining chairs in the garage for use when your home is being borrowed. That way, you can add more colour to your home and also keep your best as your best. Just remember to protect your Fabric Dining Chairs with a barrier spray, such as Scotchguard upholstery and fabric protector.
Bright white interiors are always popular. They exude a minimal Scandi vibe and, photographed well, look SO good! However, when it comes to interior colour trends, dark walls are certainly having a moment.
Create a real feel of warmth and intimacy with dark grey walls and Walnut furniture. Our Walnut and Black Chrome Acute Console Table is perfect as an extra, practical surface, but also brings that welcome touch of sophistication. Plus, the Acute range is a really stylish and cost-effective furniture range, starting at just £89 to £199.
Mix and match your coffee tables, side tables and console tables to a coordinated, high end feel.
Well done, by now you’ll have the most desirable home on Airbnb. Getting your home Airbnb ready is just the start of it. Now you’ll have to upload your property, with all those bright and airy photos of your newly updated home, and scope out those potential guests. There are a few important factors to take into consideration before letting your house out to any part-time guests.
If your home is available just for weekends, or if it’s on the market full time, you need to bear in mind some key safety features when hosting on Airbnb. Safety is paramount, and there’s plenty of tips on Airbnb’s site when it comes to taking care of you and your home. We’ve done the legwork and narrowed it down into little bite-sized chunks:
- Communicate through Airbnb. Use this to communicate safely with any potential guests. All conversations will be recorded and monitored which is so reassuring. Plus, Airbnb will blank out any mobile numbers and email addresses to keep communication safe.
- Know your guests. Before letting your property out, you can get to know your guests by having clear and verified profiles. People cannot pretend to be someone they’re not, and if you are unsure, you can ask for verification, such as a video profile or government-issued ID.
- Understand the visit. It’s also a great idea to chat with your visitors and get to know them. Find out what they will be doing in your home and why they want to stay. That way you can whittle out any potential home wrecking parties! Keep your wits about you.
- Pay through Airbnb. Airbnb will always handle the money to make sure you as the host are getting your payment. This way you are protected against any scams. This goes for both Hosts and Guests.
- Meet your guests and welcome them into your home at check in. You can still cancel a booking at any time. Therefore if you feel unsafe at any point, you don’t have to go ahead.
- Use a Security Deposit. Nobody wants last-minute cancellations or damages to your home! This will also cover you in any situation, so you’re not out of pocket.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Modern Coffee Tables: 4x Things You Need To Know When StylingOur expert stylist, Katie, has shared her top styling tips and interior knowledge so that you’ve got all the info you need to find the perfect coffee table for your space.Read more
- How To Clean A Velvet Sofa: Our Upholstery Care TipsA common misconception about velvet is that it’s a high-maintenance material. Well, let us bust that myth with this handy care and cleaning guide! When treated with the proper care and maintenance, you’ll find your velvet furniture is built to last.Read more