With its sumptuous feel and luxe good looks, a velvet sofa really does look and feel the part. Velvet has a suppleness unlike any other fabric, making it a real style staple for your home. But we understand opting for a velvet couch, at first, might seem a little daunting. Let us share five reasons why you need a velvet sofa in your home!
1. It Feels Great
First things first when it comes to velvet - it’s just so wonderfully tactile! Who can resist running their hand up and down this rich fabric. Because of this, luxury velvet sofas and furniture alike inherently have a very cosy and inviting feel, making them a great choice for creating a cosy living room setting. Velvet also comes in a variety of colours, making it even easier to style alongside your existing interior, or create one you’ve always dreamt of!
2. It’s Practical
One question you’re sure to ask yourself is: are velvet sofas practical? Sure they look great, but can they stand the test of time and everyday use? Once only a fabric for the richest and finest of settings, we often think of velvet as being delicate and therefore hard to care for. Well, we’re here to tell you that’s just not true! A synthetic velvet, such as ones made from a high-quality polyester, are less susceptible to marking, fading or crushing. So you get the real look and feel of velvet but with added protection.
Are velvet sofas easy to clean? The simple answer is yes! A velvet sofa is much easier to clean and maintain than you may think. For the best results when cleaning, try to act as soon as the spill or mark occurs. This is because it’s far easier to clean velvet before the mark sinks through to the base cloth. All you need to use is a soft cloth and some warm soapy water, rubbing in a circular motion. Then, leave the material to air dry or use a hair dryer to speed up the process.
Is Velvet Easy To Clean? - Our Top Tips:
- Use an absorbent cloth or kitchen towel to soak up the spill before it sinks past the top layer of fabric. You will find that most liquids will sit in droplets on the pile for a moment before they sink though.
- Dampen a clean, cloth in a solution of warm water and a drop of washing up liquid.
- Dab the affected area gently to remove any marks. If necessary, rub gently in the direction of the velvet.
- Avoid getting your velvet furniture too wet. It’s a good idea to take a hair dryer and very gently, on a cool setting, dry the velvet. Stroke gently with your hand to ensure the velvet does not dry in the wrong direction.
3. It’s Durable
Practicality and durability go hand in hand when considering what sofa to choose for your home. That’s why the 100% polyester short pile velvet we use for our range of sofas and furniture has been rub tested to 40,000 rubs, so you know it’s far from delicate. To put it simply, if you’re wondering: “are velvet sofas durable?”, the great news is absolutely!
Velvet is also difficult to snag, as it has no loose threads or raised weaves to get caught on buttons or zips. Many polyester velvets are stain resistant so light marks caused by food or dirt can be brushed off with ease.
Or, what about our Florence sofa? Filled with loose fibres, the plump back cushions add an extra element of comfort. This makes the back cushions are supportive yet cosy, ideal for relaxing with the family.
4. It’s Effortlessly Stylish
If you want to update the look and feel of your living area, a velvet sofa is the way to go. Velvet instantly gives a room a more luxe look due to the qualities of the fabric. The colour of a velvet sofa also has far more depth than a flat cotton or linen fabric. This is because velvet has a nap (which is the direction in which the pile of fibres lies), that catches and reflects light across shapes and folds, making the colour look wonderfully rich and enticing.
Because velvet upholstery gently reflects light instead of absorbing it, this makes a velvet settee a great pairing against a dark wall or small corner of your room. Velvet also looks great alongside a mix of finishes, from sleek brass and matt black to shiny gloss and chrome.
5. It’s Wonderfully Comfortable
As we mentioned in point 1, velvet is soft to the touch. If you’re still weighing up the pros and cons of a velvet couch, picture this: pair this soft texture with sumptuous sofa cushions and supportive arm and backrests, you have yourself a seat that’s irresistibly comfy!
Overly slouchy sofas can create a messier look, that’s why our range of velvet sofas have a medium sit. This means the seat has a blend of foam and fibre, making the sofas comfortable and supportive while also being able to recover when the seat is vacated. This also helps to avoid excessive pooling over time.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Shop the set
Explore Our Blogs
- How to clean a fabric sofa – Our insider secrets for keeping your sofa newer for longerRanging from little spot cleaning to a full deep clean, check out our handy tips and advice on how to keep you sofa looking brand new for years to come!Read more
- Build the look – making the most of MarbleMarble is a must-have material when it comes to on-trend styling. Although it has a reputation for being expensive, you can still get the classically modern look without the hefty price tag. The great thing about decorating with marble is its versatility – it supports bright colours and shiny textures such as steel, silver or […]Read more
- 2021 Interior Design Trends: Our Top Tips From The ExpertsIf you want to say goodbye to all that is 2020 (we’re all thinking it…) and start the new year with a fresh outlook, what better way to do it than reinjecting some flair or introducing a new style to your home? It’s where we’ve spent most of our time this last year, and it deserves a little TLC for 2021.Read more
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more