Choosing the right finish for your home can be tricky. With so many styles and variations available, it can seem like a minefield trying to find one that ticks all of the right boxes. If you’re looking for a finish that’s durable, easy to clean and looks great too, then you just might be in luck. Introducing this week’s material spotlight, Stainless Steel.
What is Stainless Steel?
Stainless steel is a metal alloy. It is made up of steel mixed with elements such as chromium, nickel, molybdenum, silicon, aluminium, and carbon. It is both corrosive and stain resistant due to its waterproofing in the manufacturing process. This means the material does not need a further coating for protection as it’s inherently already protected. It’s anti-rust too.
How To Style Stainless Steel Furniture
The great thing about a stainless steel finish is that it has a wonderful shine, without being overly reflective. This makes the material ideal if you want to add a modern feel to your space without it becoming too overpowering. Because of this, stainless steel can be matched with a whole variety of finishes, from woods to velvet or faux leather.
Chrome vs Stainless Steel
Because Chrome is a polished finish, it’s reflective and very shiny. Commonly used for furniture finishes, chrome furniture instantly gives a room a modern and light appearance. Chrome is also corrosion-resistant and is a very light metal. This makes it an ideal choice for something like a dining chair or stool as the lightweight qualities of chrome mean they can easily be moved and rearranged.
Stainless steel, on the other hand, has a far more subtle sheen than chrome. It’s corrosion-resistant, scratch-resistant, and tarnish resistant, in many cases making it more durable than a chrome finish. It is also very easy to keep clean as fingerprints and marks are less likely to show up on the surface. If your furniture is going to be used regularly and by lots of people, stainless steel is an ideal option because of its durability.
To help you decide which finish is right for you, take a look at the following comparisons:
|Stainless steel||Chrome or chromium plating|
|Alloy containing at least 10.5% chromium.||Not an alloy; only chromium.|
|More durable than chrome.||Durable to an extent but not as much as stainless steel.|
|Not as reflective or shiny as chrome, but easier to keep clean.||Has a more modern, brighter look than stainless steel, but takes slightly more care to keep clean.|
|Tends to be more expensive than chrome.||Less expensive which makes it ideal if you’re working within a budget.|
Care and Cleaning Stainless Steel
As we’ve mentioned earlier in this post, stainless steel is a very easy material to clean and maintain. It’s best to regularly dust the surface to avoid it looking dull. Soapy water should be all you need to remove any marks. For those harder to remove marks, window cleaner or a 50/50 water and white vinegar spray works a treat.
Top Tip: Our favourite tip for cleaning brushed metals has to be Baby Oil! All you need to do is rub the baby oil on with a paper towel, and buff away any excess with a dry, microfibre cloth. Keep in mind that baby oil goes a long way, so make sure you use it sparingly!
With a regular light polish and clean, your stainless steel furniture can last for years and years. As modern kitchens tend to use brushed metals on everything from cookers, sinks and fridges, the finish will stay looking modern and fresh for years to come.
Show Us Your Style!
Already have some stainless steel Danetti pieces in your home? We’d love to see! Post a picture on social with the #mydanetti for your chance to be featured on our page.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more