As we begin to become more confident with our home interior styling, one trend is taking the world by storm; Metallic Finishes. From Chrome to Brass, Stainless Steel to Copper and everything in between, you can’t hide from these finishes adorning the pages of your favourite interior magazines.
Whether you’re starting off small or going for all-out drama, take a look at how to use metallics in your interior. This quick 5-minute read will teach you exactly how metallics can add glamour, depth, attitude and style to your home.
High shine metallics are common finishes in our homes and are great for adding a touch of class. Chrome is particularly popular due to its highly mirrored finish. You can use a chrome finish on pretty much everything from furniture and door handles to taps and drawer pulls.
Tiva 4-6 Seater Dining Table with Stylo Dining Chairs– all with Chrome Details
Why Choose Chrome Furniture
Chrome furniture adds a level of shine no other metallic can give you and can be found on designs dating back to the early 1920s. This is because the high shine surface exudes luxury and is suited to all home decor styles, especially modern interiors. What’s more, you can mix chrome with a variety of other finishes to create different styles;
- Chrome + Brass = On-trend, versatile homes with lots of personality and style. Mixing Chrome and Brass will create an appealing juxtaposition of metals. Team with pops of jewel colours for a rich, opulent feel.
- Chrome + Wood = Cosy, yet modern family home. Clashing mirrored finishes with natural textures adds effortless style to your home. Rough and smooth finishes work great together as they help to balance each other out creating a perfect harmonious interior.
- Chrome + Marble = Luxurious, cool interiors. Marble will always add a luxe touch, but when paired with chrome you create a sleek, modern home. Stick to a monochrome colour palette for extra style points.
Chrome Pros and Cons
- Highly Reflective
- Modern Style
- Timeless Design
- Can scratch easily
- Scratches cannot be buffed out
- Shows fingerprints and dust quicker than Stainless Steel
- Requires regular maintenance
Tiva Chrome Console Table. Style against a dark wall for dramatic impact
Although Chrome Furniture can scratch if not properly cared for, day to day maintenance could not be easier. Simply wipe down with a dry microfibre cloth daily to keep dust at bay. For any fingerprints or dirty marks, a window cleaner works wonders! This is down to the vinegar in window cleaners which cuts through the grease to leave a lust-worth shine.
Black Chrome is created much like classic chrome. However, instead of being treated metal dipped in a highly reflective finishing layer, it’s dipped into essentially the same layer, just with a black tint! If you want to find out more about black chrome, in particular, take a look at this blog post here.
Recently we’ve seen a huge influx of brushed metallics in the interiors industry, with new Brushed Brass finishes leading the way. Brushed metals are super hardwearing and perfect for busy family life, all the while remaining stylish and eye-catching.
Why Choose Stainless Steel Furniture
Much like chrome, stainless steel is a highly sought after finish to use in our homes due to its durability. Most commonly found in our kitchens, stainless steel is the perfect material for our sinks, hobs and fridges. This is because the brushed nature of the metal is great at disguising those unsightly scratches which are bound to occur in our busy kitchens.
This soft sheen finish is exactly why stainless steel furniture is ideal for busy family life. You don’t have to worry about any scratches or chips as there is no dipping required. To create a brushed finish, steel is simply polished to create a matt surface.
This ultimately means you cannot chip or affect the finish. However should you encounter any scratches, these can be buffed out by a professional, returning your furniture to its former glory.
Stainless Steel Pros and Cons
- Highly Durable
- Soft Matt Finish
- Low Maintenance
- Can show up fingerprints, but these are easily removed with window cleaner
- Can be a slightly more expensive option
- Not as reflective
Brushed Brass Furniture
Just like Stainless Steel, Brushed Brass is created in the same method of polishing steel (this time with a paint over the steel) and is just a durable and hardwearing as classic Stainless Metallics.
Brushed Brass is a very popular finish in today’s interior style. We’ve stepped away from the pinky copper tones made popular in 2015, and more towards a cooler, more sophisticated gold. When teamed with rich, jewel colours the brass really pops, adding depth to your home.
Using brushed brass in new build homes is a quick way to inject personality, especially when paired with velvets. Turn your blank canvas into a space that truly reflects who you are.
Using Brushed Brass in your home will add an extra layer of opulence and an interior designed look. What’s more, you can begin to introduce this trend into your home from just £99 with one of our Plaza stools.
Team your Brushed Brass metallics with chic velvets to create a soft interior with heaps of personality and style. Choose bold colours for that extra pop of individuality.
If there is anything you’d like to know about using metallic finishes in your home, from styling to cleaning tips, get in touch! Leave us a comment below and we will get back to you. Don’t forget to share your photos with us on Facebook and Instagram with #mydanetti.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more
- Drinks Cabinet Ideas: Create Your Own Home BarIf staying in is the new going out, what better way to do it than with your own fully stocked drinks cabinet? Add a little style to your stay-at-home set up with our must-have picks for your personal mini bar. Your next night-in never looked better…Read more
- Living Room inspiration: 3 questions to ask yourself before buying a coffee tableIt’s the space where you pop your cuppa and layout your favourite magazines. The piece that completes the look and feel of your living space. Coffee tables are super functional, but so often an afterthought when it comes to living room décor. When revamping your space, it’s important to think about the purpose of your table.Read more