By Charlotte Laing
There’s no doubt that the aftermath of the recession is still influencing our tastes when it comes to our homes. We tend to be going one of two ways – either turning the home into a luxurious cocoon, where we can escape the austerity of the outside world; or reflecting the austerity with a spirit of make-do-and-mend, including mis-matching fabrics and second-hand finds nestling among contemporary furniture.
In this article we want to take a look at how you can create both of these looks in your home…
1. The luxe cocoon
This trend is probably the most significant for autumn winter 2010. Debenhams has reported that sales of its chandeliers have gone through the roof since the economic downturn began almost two years ago. The key to this look is a bit of glitz and sparkle, quality furniture and opulent fabrics. Opt for neutral shades of grey, taupe and cream and mix in metallics gold, silver and bronze. Shapes should be fluid and rounded, nothing harsh or sharp looking. Finally, invest in some quality finishing touches like chandeliers, cushions, candles and champagne buckets!
1. Chandelier, £79, Debenhams
2. Luxy cream leather sofa, Danetti VIEW NOW
3. Linda Barker gold cushion, £12, Matalan
4. Bubble tub chair in grey, Danetti VIEW NOW
5. Potenza scroll legs extendible dining table, Danetti VIEW NOW
2. The make-do-and-mend look
It’s a little bit vintage, a little bit eclectic and a lot of fun – brght colours, often clashing, combine with traditional styling – think teacups and cute cushions mixed with real wood furniture and brightly coloured stools. To make sure your furniture lasts the test of time, invest in statement block colour furniture and solid wood, then ‘dress’ the look with disposable accessories like cushions, tea-towels, lamps and crockery.
1. Keri wire mesh chair, Danetti, VIEW NOW
2. Tea cup and saucer, £6.99, Not On The High Street
3.Various circular ‘Orbit’ stools, Danetti, VIEW NOW
4. ‘Make do and mend’ cushion, £20, Bhs
5. Compton coffee table, Danetti, VIEW NOW
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- 4 Things You Need To Know About Interior Trends This SeasonSoft weaves, sweeping curves and rich textured grains are all the trend this season when it comes to interiors. We sat down with Danetti Designer, Damien to discover more about this season’s need-to-know tips.Read more
- Autumn Winter Home Décor: Adding texture to your homeThe change of season into Autumn and Winter is the perfect opportunity to restyle your interior. Changing things up can provide an instant room mood-booster and bringing in different textural elements through furniture, colours and accessories will add to the warmth factor of your home during this time of year.Read more
- Relaxing Interior Design: 3 Ways To Create a Relaxing Space at HomeSoft and neutral palettes, soothing fabrics and textures, and subtle signature detailing; it’s the perfect interior recipe for creating a home that feels like a sanctuary. We sat down with Danetti Designer, Francesca, to discover how you can easily create an aesthetic that feels comfortable, warm, and cosy.Read more
- Armchairs and Accents Chairs: How To Style Your Occasional ChairCreate your own reading corner, bring a cosy feeling to your living space, or add character to your bedroom with our collection of accent chairs and occasional chairs.Read more