As the long Winter creeps up, and the all too familiar blanket of grey cloud envelops us, some of us start to feel somewhat deflated and miserable. We start to look forward to Christmas with a spark of comfort in our hearts. It’s that tiny glimmer of light in the middle of the long and more often than not wet, dark, miserable wintery days. For many of us, it does feel like some sort of trial we all have to go through- for what feels like months on end.
Well! What if there was a way to change our mindset and actually revel in this time of year? To hunker down, batten down the hatches and, well, almost look forward to it? I know, it may sound crazy, but funnily enough, this Autumn, we’ve found the solution. It has arrived in the form of the much feted Danish word…Hygge!
So what is Hygge?Well it is a Danish word that describes an attitude to life. It’s not supposed to be translated as it is an emotion or a feeling. However if we had to translate it, it sort of means ‘cosiness’.
How do you say it?
Its pronounced ‘hoo-ga’ (just incase you are tempted to say huggie out loudly or something embarrassing like that!)
Where is it from?
It is a very substantial part of Danish life. With long cold winters and up to 17 hours of darkness per day people tend to spend lots of time indoors. Instead of dreading it and moaning about it – the Danes take it on the chin and positively welcome it as a great time of year to get Hygge with it(!).
So this could mean getting together for a meal by candlelight or the fire, or it could be just cuddling up on the sofa with a warm throw and reading a book. It’s basically learning how to be indulgent, and not denying yourself anything (those Vikings really know how to live!). It’s being kind to yourself and to others, its a state of mind. Being in a content and happy place spiritually.
So, do you get it? Have a look below to find out what’s Hygge and what’s not:
Sipping a hot chocolate by the fire – Definitely Hygge
Glugging a beer under the striplight in the kitchen – Not at all Hygge
A relaxed, casual meal with candles, good friends or family – Totally Hygge
Driving to the local kebab shop and waiting in the queue with your friend Nope – not in the least Hygge
Putting on your cosy bed socks, snuggling on the sofa and watching a box set – Super duper Hygge
Watching the news with cold bare feet and all the lights turned up – Hygge has left the building……
So, hopefully that will help you understand Hygge – it’s a great way to endure the Winter. It’s the ultimate in ‘feelgood’ and will help promote a feeling of peace, and inner wellbeing….
As a company that like to be ‘on trend’ we’ve been hygge without knowing it for some time now. So, we thought we’d share some of our favourite Hygge moments with you to get you in the mood.
So, come on! What are you waiting for? Go forth and buy cosy socks, felt covered mugs, logs for the fire, candles, tealights, and embrace it. You’ll find that the Winter is a lot more bearable and, who knows – you might even start to enjoy the gloomy, grey UK climate!
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more