How to Store Your Garden Furniture For Winter
When the weather begins to get cooler and the clouds start creeping in, it’s a good idea to start thinking about how you’re going to store your garden furniture over the winter months. Although designed for outdoor use, garden furniture is best tucked away or protected during the cold and rainy seasons. Follow our top tips so that your garden pieces stay looking sleek and fresh, ready for use next summer!
Keep It Clean
Mould and mildew can spread quickly if moisture is left on the surface. So one of the most important steps when it comes to storing your garden furniture is to clean it beforehand. One final, thorough clean before storage will help the furniture be fit for use next summertime.
How to Clean: Cast Aluminium
We all know Aluminium garden furniture won’t rust, (and if you don’t, take a look at our Aluminium post here), but that doesn’t mean you don’t have to take care of the material when you store it away. Start by using a nylon-bristled brush to remove any dirt or leaves. Then it’s best to use a hot water and soap solution to scrub away any further marks and stains.
Try to avoid using cleaning materials that are overly abrasive as they can damage the surface of the aluminium. Once cleaned, use fresh water to rinse the aluminium. You can help further polish and protect the surface by applying a coat of water and vinegar with a soft cloth.
How to Clean: Plastic Chairs
Plastic furniture is so easy to clean. You can start by using warm water mixed with soap, detergent, or any other standard cleaning solution. For a deeper clean, you’re fine to use a tiny bit of bleach. Avoid using steel wool or anything abrasive as this can damage a plastic surface. Plastic furniture can withstand the force of a pressure washer. So before storing your chairs, give them a quick hose down to rinse of any leaves or dirt.
How to Clean: Fabric Bench Cushions
Most outdoor bench cushion covers are removable and machine washable. However, if you wash them too frequently, the protective coating will begin to wear away. If you are machine washing your cushions, a gentle wash on the coolest cycle will be all you need. For regular, light cleaning of your bench cushions, lightly brush off any loose dirt and then vacuum the surface using the handheld nozzle. Then, spot-clean the affected area using a damp cloth and fabric safe cleaning product.
Stack Your Chairs
When not in use it’s best to stack your chairs. This will help to minimize their footprint both in and outside. If you don’t have the space to store them inside, try to leave your chairs in a relatively sheltered area of the garden and cover them with a tarp or other waterproof cover. The cover for your chairs should be close fitting but not too tight so that some air can circulate around your furniture. Stacking the chairs when left outside will also give them added weight so they won’t topple over in strong winds.
Keep it Covered
Even when stored inside away from the elements, it’s still a good idea to keep your garden furniture covered. This will help prevent dust from settling on the surface. Our garden covers are made from a high quality, heavy gauge woven fabric with a waterproof coating. This garden cover comes with a cord and eyelet so that it can be cinched in, keeping your garden furniture securely undercover.
Store on a Solid, Flat Surface
If possible, try to move your furniture from your grass when not in use as this will significantly reduce the furniture’s exposure to moisture. If this isn’t an option, try standing the table and chair legs in saucers or on pieces of wood preservative as this will add an extra layer of protection.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Shop the set
Explore Our Blogs
- Aluminium: Why You Should Buy Aluminium Garden FurnitureAluminium Garden Furniture is such a great choice, and we're here to show you why! Lightweight, durable and easy to clean, aluminium garden furniture will help to transform your outdoor space.Read more
- Garden Furniture Buying Guide: Everything You Need To KnowNeed help choosing your outdoor furniture? Perhaps you want to give your garden a whole new look? In this post, we’ll walk you through what to watch out for when buying garden furniture for your home - so you can spend time with friends and family in a space you love this summertime!Read more
- The Danetti Guide To Buying Outdoor FurnitureIf you’re thinking about investing in some new garden furniture to celebrate the arrival of summer, we have a few handy tips on what to buy and how to take care of your purchases.Read more
- 7 Outdoor Furniture Buying Mistakes You’ll Want To Avoid!With the warmer weather just around the corner, you'll want to make sure your garden is summer ready. With so many pieces to choose from, we thought we'd give you a rundown of the 7 Outdoor Furniture Buying Mistakes You’ll Want To Avoid. Take our advice and you'll have your dream garden setting in no time!Read more
- Danetti Outdoor: Get to Know our NEW Range of Modern Garden FurnitureAs warmer weather is on the horizon, we are all dreaming of those long summer nights spent with friends and family. And what better way to get the outdoor inspiration flowing than taking a look at our new outdoor furniture range. Start planning what your summer could look like now so you’re ready to enjoy every second of the warm weather.Read more
- Outdoor Patio Chairs – Get Ready for SummerYour summer seating, sorted. Take a look at our collection of modern outdoor seating and you're sure to find the perfect garden chair for bringing all of the family together this summertime.Read more