Some people think that minimalism in interiors is just about not owning many things – having white walls and very few items of furniture.
The truth is that the key to a really great minimalist look lies in simply choosing the things to put in your home.
Follow our five step guide to creating a beautiful, modern minimalist interior and you’ll never look back!
1.Opt for furniture with clean lines and simple shapes. Fussy, ornate furniture can cause a room to look cluttered. If a piece of furniture is well designed and useful, it will be beautiful in its own right, not because of decoration. Key pieces to invest in are chairs made without joints or screws – something moulded and streamlined.
2. Add interest with key pieces, and make sure they are beautifully presented. Rather than opting for a patterned sofa or curtains, keep detail restricted to objects – perhaps a gorgeous ceramic vase, or a limited edition print – and display them with purpose. Perhaps you could have a simple table with the vase as the centre piece, or the print framed and illuminated with a spotlight.
3. Have a place for everything. Piles of papers are household utensils are not worth putting on show! Hide them away and it will really help you to achieve the minimalist look. It’s important to be realistic about how many possessions you have and make sure you buy enough storage.
4. Opt for colour blocks – not necessarily just white, but bright colours too. The important thing is to have large expanses of one colour, as this adds to the uncluttered effect.
5. Don’t ignore the details. Make sure there are no outstanding DIY projects, chips in the paintwork or areas that need attention – in a minimalist scheme every aspect of the room must be neat, clean and elegant looking, or the overall effect will be lot.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more
- Drinks Cabinet Ideas: Create Your Own Home BarIf staying in is the new going out, what better way to do it than with your own fully stocked drinks cabinet? Add a little style to your stay-at-home set up with our must-have picks for your personal mini bar. Your next night-in never looked better…Read more
- Living Room inspiration: 3 questions to ask yourself before buying a coffee tableIt’s the space where you pop your cuppa and layout your favourite magazines. The piece that completes the look and feel of your living space. Coffee tables are super functional, but so often an afterthought when it comes to living room décor. When revamping your space, it’s important to think about the purpose of your table.Read more