Some people think that minimalism in interiors is just about not owning many things – having white walls and very few items of furniture.
The truth is that the key to a really great minimalist look lies in simply choosing the things to put in your home.
Follow our five step guide to creating a beautiful, modern minimalist interior and you’ll never look back!
1.Opt for furniture with clean lines and simple shapes. Fussy, ornate furniture can cause a room to look cluttered. If a piece of furniture is well designed and useful, it will be beautiful in its own right, not because of decoration. Key pieces to invest in are chairs made without joints or screws – something moulded and streamlined.
2. Add interest with key pieces, and make sure they are beautifully presented. Rather than opting for a patterned sofa or curtains, keep detail restricted to objects – perhaps a gorgeous ceramic vase, or a limited edition print – and display them with purpose. Perhaps you could have a simple table with the vase as the centre piece, or the print framed and illuminated with a spotlight.
3. Have a place for everything. Piles of papers are household utensils are not worth putting on show! Hide them away and it will really help you to achieve the minimalist look. It’s important to be realistic about how many possessions you have and make sure you buy enough storage.
4. Opt for colour blocks – not necessarily just white, but bright colours too. The important thing is to have large expanses of one colour, as this adds to the uncluttered effect.
5. Don’t ignore the details. Make sure there are no outstanding DIY projects, chips in the paintwork or areas that need attention – in a minimalist scheme every aspect of the room must be neat, clean and elegant looking, or the overall effect will be lot.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Interior Design Masters Siobhan Murphy shares her home bar styling tipsWe've teamed up with Interior Design Masters finalist and Interior Stylist, Siobhan Murphy for some Friday fizz fun! For this guest blog takeover, Siobhan has created three signature looks with our customers favourite drinks cabinet. Check out her top tips on how to achieve each of these styles below.Read more
- Interior Design Masters Siobhan Murphy answers your Danetti design dilemmasWe've teamed up with Interior Design Master's finalist and Interior Stylist, Siobhan Murphy to tackle your Danetti design dilemmas! From home office hacks to better organising your décor, check out Siobhan's top tips for styling your home and enhancing your space.Read more
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more