Drinks Cabinet Ideas: Create Your Own Home Bar
If staying in is the new going out, what better way to do it than with your own fully stocked drinks cabinet? Add a little style to your stay-at-home set up with our must-have picks for your personal mini bar. Your next night-in never looked better…
Must-haves for creating the perfect home bar:
Your cabinet or console should have plenty of shelves and space for storing your accessories and items, as well as open space for showing off your pretty bottle collection. Mirrored designs are perfect for showcasing fancy glassware and gently reflect the light, adding to your drink station ambiance!
A durable and low maintenance finish is pretty essential – a surface topped with something like glass will be easy to wipe which is especially handy for cocktail mixing.
There’s nothing worse than harsh closing doors that make glassware rattle or even topple over! It may not be the first thing you think of but consider premium details like velvet lined drawers which are a great for protecting your mixing tools, or soft-close door hinges as they will help protect all the lovely glassware stored inside.
Balance out your accessories – if you’re going for an open cabinet look, it’s important to make sure the look is well-rounded by featuring items on both high and low shelves to achieve that polished finish.
It’s not all about the bottles: Okay, so they’re a must for your cocktail evening and there’s no harm in showing off a couple of your prettiest, but don’t forget to add some natural elements to your cart. Our stylist’s always recommending adding something natural like coloured flowers or organic shapes to your space to help soften the look.
Our expert and Furniture Designer, Francesca Birch says: “As we find ourselves spending more time at home, staying in really has become the new going out! What better way to enjoy our homes then with a nod to the Great Gatsby era in the form of a bar cabinet? Over recent years bar cabinets, drinks trolleys and the like have become ever more popular and we can totally understand why.
“Bar cabinets are an easy way to add a touch of luxury to our homes providing the perfect set up for an at home gin tasting event or for an all-out cocktail night from the comfort of your living room. Don’t forget to check out those cocktail recipes on Pinterest and add a Mad Men inspired modern cocktail to your bar!”
Now for our recommended picks:
If you’re looking for the ultimate cocktail cabinet, the Berkley is the piece for you as it follows a classic design shape with a mix of modern materials like glass, mirror and metal. This makes it super easy to co-ordinate with a range of interiors.
It has just right the amount of space for your staycation needs with a 6-glass hanging rack, a bottle rack, a cupboard, and drawer space. The velvet lined drawers are the perfect place for storing away all those little bar tools and items that make up the perfect cocktail while the glass top makes the modern drinks cabinet an ideal spot for both storing and serving up your drinks as you can use the space for preparing drinks for your guests. We'll have ours shaken, not stirred...
If you like the idea of a bar-cart curated feel, but don’t want to commit to the full look then go for a sideboard with a vignette or drinks-related items. This would be a perfect choice for a larger home as sideboards have been plenty of extra storage, but they’re not such a commitment to the home bar look.
We’ve pored over the details of the Ellis Dark Oak and Brass Sideboard so you don't have to. The textured detail on this piece adds an extra design element – it’s refined styling to give your home that put together, interior designer feel. With a spacious top, several compartments, soft close doors and adjustable shelves, the Ellis has plenty of storage space. You can hide away and show off whatever you like! The dark oak finish is reminiscent of that traditional wood bar finish and adds to the cosy and homely vibe.
Art-deco styling paired with plenty of shelf space and a secure base for even more storage, the Monroe Drinks Console Table is a durable and sturdy home-bar alternative. It’s a real statement piece, styled with smoked mirror shelving and a polished stainless-steel frame to give it a luxe look. The Monroe is all about displaying your fancy bottles and glassware; the slim and sleek frame is a more practical space-saving option if you want to create a home bar, but don’t really have the space for a cabinet or sideboard.
Another good-looking storage solution designed in our studio, the Geo would work perfectly as a drinks cupboard in a fireplace nook or a smaller space if you want to create some bar cart styling. You could pop a tray on the top of the unit and display a couple of your favourite bottles of spirits or statement glassware and even add some other elements like a vase or a quirky ornament.
Within the sideboard’s soft-close doors, you’ll find four spacious compartments for storing everything from cocktail recipe books to glass tumblers.
New for Spring-Summer 2021, the Geo is available to order in a matt white and stainless-steel finish. If you love the glamour of Old Hollywood, fulfil your art deco drinks cabinet vibe by ordering the Geo with brass accents.
Date Published: March 2021
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Shop the set
Explore Our Blogs
- 2021 Interior Design Trends: Our Top Tips From The ExpertsIf you want to say goodbye to all that is 2020 (we’re all thinking it…) and start the new year with a fresh outlook, what better way to do it than reinjecting some flair or introducing a new style to your home? It’s where we’ve spent most of our time this last year, and it deserves a little TLC for 2021.Read more
- Living Room inspiration: 3 questions to ask yourself before buying a coffee tableIt’s the space where you pop your cuppa and layout your favourite magazines. The piece that completes the look and feel of your living space. Coffee tables are super functional, but so often an afterthought when it comes to living room décor. When revamping your space, it’s important to think about the purpose of your table.Read more
- Bedroom Storage Ideas: Stylish SolutionsIf you don’t have the luxury of space or budget to spend out on fitted bedroom furniture, we have some handy storage hacks that are worth the investment and can move and evolve with you whether you change homes or taste over time. Here are our top picks.Read more
- How To Clean A Velvet Sofa: Our Upholstery Care TipsA common misconception about velvet is that it’s a high-maintenance material. Well, let us bust that myth with this handy care and cleaning guide! When treated with the proper care and maintenance, you’ll find your velvet furniture is built to last.Read more
- World Cup Home Bar IdeasIt’s Coming Home – in every sense of the word! Make your World Cup experience even better with your own home bar set up. With a fully stocked drinks cupboard, who would want to leave the house?Read more