We don’t always think about the way we sit. It comes so naturally and we do it so often, that it’s likely we’ve sunk into bad habits that may be comfortable, but are bad for our bodies. Next time you sit down to eat have a think about your body and posture: do you slouch? cross your legs? are they tucked up on the seat?
In this post, we offer some of our top seating tips that will benefit not only your body but, believe it or not, also your mood and mind! This is so you can stay sitting comfortably each and every meal time.
Proper Seating Posture
1. Ensure that your buttocks are touching the back of the dining chair and you are sitting up with your back straight and your shoulders back. A seat with a higher back will naturally keep your back straighter and stop your shoulder hunching forwards.
2. Whilst sitting on the dining chair make sure you distribute your weight evenly on both hips.
3. When seated bend your knees at a right angle making sure they are higher than hip level. A seat with a slight curve at the front, like the Verona, are ideal for this as they help keep your legs in the right position with minimal effort.
4. Make sure you have 2 to 3 inches of space between the back of your knee and the edge of your dining chair seat.
5. Ensure that you keep your feet flat on the floor. You can use a footrest if this is not possible or if on a bar stool, put the middle part of your soles on the footrest.
6. Try not to remain in the same position for great lengths of time. If you want to sit at your dining table for longer than just to eat, make sure you choose a seat that has enough padding.
Dining chairs with extra seat padding, like our Deco, will offer even more comfort and support when seated. The chair slightly tucks around you back at the base, almost moulding to your shape. This is so you can sink back and get unashamedly comfortable!
7. When sitting in a chair up against a table, place your arms at a 90° angle. This will help you remain upright but will relax your shoulders. Alternatively, a dining armchair gives you the option to rest your arms on either side. This will help you to keep your shoulders relaxed while seated and find a position that’s most comfortable.
8. When sitting on a bar stool that swivels, do not move the chair without moving your body with it.
9. If you’re looking for added comfort and support, opt for a dining chair with good lower back (lumbar) support for the normal curve in your back. Alternatively, extra support can be created using a lumbar roll, even a small pillow, or rolled up towel will have a similar effect.
10. When leaving a stool or chair, move to the front of the chair so you can bend your knees to leave the seat.
So there you have it…
Now you know how to sit, you need some stylish chairs to sit on! Head on over to our website to view our collection of dining chairs and bar stool seating. You can also read our Ultimate Dining Chair Buying Guide here.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more