As the weather warms up and we throw open our windows and back doors, it seems a shame to keep our living space and the outdoors totally separate. Although the dream nowadays is to have one open plan living space. Imagine doors that open so much, it feels like the inside and outside is one.
However, not all of us have the funds, or the space to achieve such a thing right now, so instead, let’s look at how we can bring the outdoors, in. Simply done by introducing wooden furniture into your home.
Why Choose Wooden Furniture?
By introducing some natural wood furniture into your home, you’ll feel like you have a little piece of the outdoors around you at all times. The warm colour of the wood adds a sense of depth and homeliness, whilst the grain adds texture.
If you currently have a crisp, clean, minimal home, the addition of wooden furniture can go a long way to bring back the cosiness. You don’t want to feel like you’re living in a hospital! On the other hand, if you already use natural wood in your interiors, you can always add more! Just follow these simple steps to keep balance and harmony:
- Stick to One Type of Wood- Oak is a classic in interiors as it’s hardwearing and just the right shade- not too dark or too light. However, if you start introducing a Walnut, then an Ash and maybe even a Wenge, you’ve got far too much going on. Less is more when it comes to furnishing with wooden furniture. So choose your favourite type and stick with it.
- Mix and Match Textures- Wood itself brings a lot of texture and warmth to a room, however, playing around with contrasting textures creates a really chic look. Balance a high shine gloss, brushed brass and unfinished wood for a soft yet striking interior. The mixture of hard and soft finishes makes for a beautiful juxtaposition. Just avoid mixing and matching wood finishes!
- Balance Wood with Accessories – If you have a minimal home but choose a wooden barstool, think about adding a couple of extra wood textures throughout the space. A wooden picture frame and perhaps a nice wooden fruit bowl will balance the colour and cause your eyes to take in the entire room. Alternatively, If you have a wooden kitchen, add a wooden dining table with brightly coloured chairs to avoid too much coordination, and to create a fun vibe.
Bringing the Outdoors, In
If you want to great more of an “outdoors, in” feel with wooden furniture, think about an untreated wood. The natural look and feel of untreated wood looks great and will wear with use, creating a wonderful patina effect.
Our Oak barstools are treated with a light oil, which over time will wear down slightly. Give them a little sand down and re-oil to keep them looking as new. Otherwise, allow them to age naturally. Who knows, you may even have a new family heirloom you can pass down the generations!
To really bring the outdoors feel to your home, there is some simple and cost-effective trick you can try.:
- House Plants – the more greenery, the better!
- Colourful Prints – Add some nature prints to your walls of rivers or forests or palm trees for that garden vibe.
- Add Colourful Accessories – Our gardens are full of colour, so why not bring this back through the house? Add bright vases and textiles to give that balming evening vibe.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more