Summer is just around the corner, so what better way to enjoy the warm weather than sunning yourself on some stylish garden furniture! We’ve written a whole series of posts about sizing and styling garden furniture (which you can read here). But what about materials? Introducing Aluminium…
What Makes Aluminium So Special?
Aluminium garden furniture is perfect for climates that have a mix of rainy and sunny spells. This is because it is inherently anti-rust. So when exposed to the elements, aluminium develops a microscopic layer of oxide on its exterior. It’s this oxide layer that acts as a barrier to protect the metal from further damage and prevent it from corroding (the more you know!).
Despite being incredibly durable, aluminium furniture won’t break the bank. This means when you’re picking that perfect garden dining set, you can have both style and quality at an affordable price.
Strength & Durability
Highly resistant to cracking or other types of blemishes, aluminium garden furniture is ideal for busy families as it can withstand both the elements and frequent use.
Although we do recommend that you store your aluminium furniture in a dry place during the winter months, or use a cover during rainy spells, you don’t have to worry about the elements breaking down the structure of the furniture itself as it is highly resistant.
Danetti Pick: Forget those plastic garden side tables, your garden space can look and feel luxurious too! If you’re looking for a modern and practical garden coffee table to pop next to your bench, then our experts recommend the Cala Grey Frosted Glass Aluminium Garden Side Table Set. The large and small table simply nest together for practical storage and space saving; the larger coffee table is the perfect size for cocktails and nibbles, while the smaller one is an ideal side table for garden decorations, pot plants or more cocktails!
Function & Form
Another great feature of aluminium is that it’s light enough to pick up and move around your garden but substantial enough that it still makes a style impact in the space. This makes it easy to restyle in your garden, and then store inside during the winter months.
Lightweight doesn’t mean flimsy though; aluminium still has a weighted quality which makes it heavy enough to stay put on your patio. This, combined with features such as the frosted glass top of our Palermo and Fresco tables, will keep your garden table neatly in place.
Danetti Pick: If you’re liking what you hear when it comes to aluminium and need a 4 seater garden set that works for your family, we recommend our Rio and Skye Outdoor Dining Set. The chairs are low maintenance and water resistant thanks to their practical, molded Polypropylene finish and the table has a built-in ice bucket so you can keep your drinks cool and spend more time with the family during those long, leisurely lunches.
How Do I Clean Aluminium Furniture?
If you’re after garden furniture that’s low maintenance and easy to clean, aluminium is about to become your new best friend! This is especially true if you buy a powder coated frame or cast aluminium as the finish is baked on. This makes it outperform basic sprayed-on coatings when it comes to durability and longevity.
To clean the powder-coated aluminium frame of your table or benches, first, remove any decorative cushions and furniture accessories. Then, simply wash the surface with a lint-free cloth and soapy water. Dirt and salts can build up on the surface over time causing it to look dusty and grimy, so it’s best to first clean this away to avoid damaging the powder coating.
Top Tip: Don’t forget to wash underneath the furnishing and in all cracks and grooves. If your furniture has a glass top, clean it with a household glass cleaner but try to avoid spraying this on the powder coating.
For more stubborn or greasy marks, you can add a mild household acid such as vinegar or lemon juice. Stay away from any ammonia, TSP or soda-based products as this can encourage further oxidation on the surface. Avoid scraping or rubbing the powder coating with an abrasive cloth as this could damage or even remove the coating from the surface.
It’s a good idea to use your garden hose to give your aluminium a good rinse. Because aluminium is anti-rust, this won’t damage the surface. If you do this, avoid using a pressure washer or a strong setting on a garden hose nozzle as such a strong and focused stream of water could damage the furniture’s finish. A normal garden hose will do just the trick.
Allow the furniture to dry completely before placing cushions on the seat. We advise that you wash your table and bench frames as and when needed when in use, but make sure you give them one last thorough clean before you store the furniture away for winter.
Top Tip: Try to clean your powder-coated aluminium furniture in the shade to avoid fast-drying streaks and unwanted fading.
How Do I Keep Aluminium Looking Its Best?
A powder-coated aluminium surface not only increases the visual appeal of the aluminium but also gives the metal additional strength. This helps to reduce scratches and dents from daily use. However, to keep it looking its best we suggest keeping an eye out for small chips or cracks on the surface. This is so you can prevent any water from entering underneath the outer layer.
To further protect the surface after cleaning, wipe the surface with a little car wax or baby oil on a dry cloth as this will help give the surface a wonderful shine. If you really want to keep your powder coated aluminium looking its best, from time to time you may also want to also apply a wax product that is specially designed for keeping powder coatings looking new. A good time to do this is just before storing or covering your patio set for the winter.
So there you have it!
That’s why you should buy aluminium furniture for your garden. Easy to move and style. Practical when it comes to cleaning and able to withstand the weather. What more could you need! If you’d like to see more, why not take a look at our range of aluminium garden furniture on our website.
Like What You See?
If you enjoy the content we share with you, be sure to sign up to our newsletter. We send out product updates, styling tips and offers straight to your inbox so you won’t miss a thing! You can sign up here.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Shop the set
Explore Our Blogs
- Cleaning Outdoor Plastic Garden FurnitureWith the sun peeping through it is tempting to get out on the patio and give the outdoor furniture a clean in readiness for warmer weather that we hope is around the corner. If you have plastic garden furniture, getting it ready for the Spring and Summer months should be fairly straightforward.Read more
- Garden Furniture Buying Guide: Everything You Need To KnowNeed help choosing your outdoor furniture? Perhaps you want to give your garden a whole new look? In this post, we’ll walk you through what to watch out for when buying garden furniture for your home - so you can spend time with friends and family in a space you love this summertime!Read more
- How to Store Your Garden Furniture For WinterWhen the weather begins to get cooler and the clouds start creeping in, it’s a good idea to start thinking about how you’re going to store your garden furniture over the winter months. Follow our top tips so that your garden pieces stay looking sleek and fresh, ready for use next summer!Read more
- Furniture Cleaning Tips: The Only Guide You’ll Ever NeedWhether High gloss or Wood Veneer. Real Leather or Velvet, we've got all the cleaning tips for furniture that you'll ever need to know.Read more
- Interior Design Masters Siobhan Murphy shares her home bar styling tipsWe've teamed up with Interior Design Masters finalist and Interior Stylist, Siobhan Murphy for some Friday fizz fun! For this guest blog takeover, Siobhan has created three signature looks with our customers favourite drinks cabinet. Check out her top tips on how to achieve each of these styles below.Read more