In this modern world there’s a term that keeps popping up over and over again; Sharing Economy. But what does it mean exactly?
Sharing Economy: an economic system in which assets or services are shared between private individuals, either free or for a fee, typically by means of the Internet.
Sounds great, right? Sharing your off street parking to a commuter, renting out a room for a lodger, or maybe even letting out your entire house for holiday makers, there’s no denying this is an intriguing concept. So how do you make it happen for you?
There are many sites on the world wide web, but perhaps most popular is Airbnb. You can let your home out for weekly getaways, or share a room to meet new people and make a bit of extra cash along the way.
I’ll admit though, the thought of having essentially a stranger staying in your home can be daunting. We’ve created a series of Airbnb Basics to supply you the best tips and tricks on looking after your Airbnb home, be it cleaning, styling or furnishing. This is your one stop Airbnb beginners guide.
Make your home the perfect holiday destination with our Airbnb Basics guide.
Siena Corner Sofa and Arc Glass 4 Seater Dining set with Riva Stackable Dining Chairs
Almost anyone can host on Airbnb but there are some barriers. It’s a good idea to familiarise yourself with the Airbnb FAQ’s. Heres a few things worth checking out before getting too stuck into Hosting;
- House / Liability Insurance– Airbnb offer some sort of coverage, but it’s a good idea to make your insurance company aware when you start Hosting on Airbnb, and also explore your other insurance options. Remember to add your furniture to any insurance policy too. These are investment items and you want to make sure you’re covered should anything happen… Insurance isn’t all about electricals!
- Costs, Taxes and Fees– As with most sharing sites, there will be some applicable costs. Again, we highly recommend reviewing Airbnb’s post about what you’re likely to be charged when being a Host.
- House Rules, Safety Card and First Aid Box- When sharing your home or letting it out, you must make sure to lay down some ground rules, along with safety information. Look at a Welcome Pack, with all the do’s and don’ts, Safety information, emergency numbers and have a first aid box clearly posted.
Stylists Tip: Be sure to include any ‘no snacking zones’ and how to care for you furniture in your House Rules- let your guests know these are to be followed and respected.
- Property Type– Airbnb has 3 different types of properties, and it’s key to list yours correctly, not only for your listing to be found, but also for your security. These are:
- Shared rooms– You’ll be sharing space with other guests, as well as sharing the entire property
- Private rooms– You’ll have your own private room, however the rest of the property will be shared.
- Entire homes / apartments– You’ll have the entire property for yourself. These are great for those big family trips away, or if you just prefer your privacy.
Creating the Perfect Listing
Now you know what Airbnb is all about, its time to get your listing up and running. So, whats the first thing that attracts you to a potential rental property? The pictures of sweeping staircases, insane garden views and the most desirable magazine-worthy interiors? Getting your home interior pictures right is super important in pulling in those future guests…
- Lighting is so important! A bright and airy room flooded in natural light will always appear more appealing. Avoid synthetic light, and photograph your home in the morning, when the lighting is spot on.
- De-clutter. Make your home look like the pages of your favourite interior design magazines by removing any remotes, mugs, washing, children toys etc. Your home wants to look like the perfect getaway / relaxation zone.
Stylists Tips: Add a strategically places mug and magazine to make your home look lived in, but uncluttered!
- Get back and capture the entire room. You could use a wide angled lens to get more of the room in, but you don’t want that 90’s fish eye effect. Just get back as far as you can, even if it means moving some furniture. The more your guests can see, the more likely they are to book with you.
Once you’re ready to be a host(ess) with the most(ess), you need to make sure your home is practical for weekly new guests and also stylish, so people see your listing and want to stay. Luckily for you, we’re masters in creating beautiful interiors, so heres our tips for the perfect Airbnb home makeover.
The biggest thing to remember is that, although you are careful in your home, other guests may not treat it the same. That’s where tough and durable furniture comes in. Some of the most durable kitchen table finishes on the market are Tempered Glass and HPL (high pressure laminate).
The Zen 6 seater Glass Dining Table is a perfect option for letting out your home on Airbnb. With a 10mm thick Tempered Glass top, this makes the table extra strong and resistant to breakage. As tempered glass will not splinter, the Zen Dining Table is also a kid friendly dining table. Plus, the sleek ‘V’ shaped gloss legs mean this 6 seater glass dining table is ticking all the boxes for modern interiors.
Stylists Tip: A Glass Dining Table allows light to flow through you room, helping with those all important interior photos and creating a light, airy kitchen!
If a Glass Dining Table isn’t your style, but you still want a durable kitchen table finish, take a look at our Ellie Extending Table. Made from HPL, this is one of the strongest, high performing materials for the home. HPL is able to withstand a temperature of up to 180ºC, but we would recommend using coasters anyway! Still unsure what HPL is? Take a look at our Material Spotligth: HPL post to find out more.
Secondly, you have to have wipe clean surfaces. There’s nothing worse than scrubbing coffee stains out of a solid oak dining table, or trying to get red wine off of your favourite leather dining chairs! Let’s face it, you can’t watch your guests 24/7, so making sure your home is easy to keep clean is paramount.
If you want to add more protections to your leather or faux leather dining chair, make sure you protect with a quality product, such as scotchgaurd fabric & upholstery protector. This will coat your chairs in an extra protective layer to repel those unwanted spills and prevent any nasty stains!
When it comes to keeping you table clean, our Zen and Ellie tables couldn’t be more low maintenance. Just follow these simple steps;
- Wipe table with a clean cloth, soaked in a solution of warm water and fairy liquid. Make sure you cloth is rung out well.
- Wipe up any spillages as soon as they happen to avoid any staining. If you do find a stain, use a non-abrasive cleaner such as a magic sponge, or try adding a touch of vinegar to your cleaning solution.
- Take a dry, clean micro-fibre cloth to buff away and water makes, and keep your table streak free and sparkling!
Stylists Tip: If your table however does require specialist care, like a solid oak table, make sure to include this in your House Rules, so your guest know straight away to take extra care!
One of the key things potential guests will be looking at when browsing Airbnb is open, light and airy spaces. No one wants a home which is cluttered, dark and dingy. That’s where compact furniture comes in.
Although smaller, this handy space saving furniture for small apartments is ideal for rented properties. By having smaller, compact furniture, it means your space will feel more open, while still offering practical storage solutions. Which, as a result, will be much more appealing to potential lodgers!
Our Eve compact sideboard has a high gloss finish and matt tempered glass top (durability) and is a stylish piece for any hallway, living room, dining room or bedroom! Plus, for you part time Airbnb Hosts, a compact sideboard with drawers a good idea to tuck away any personal items and mark as an out of bounds area.
Multi-purpose furniture goes hand in hand with compact furniture. These clever space savers are ideal for rental properties and first time Airbnb hosts. Be it a side table which hides a footstool or a Console Table which doubles as drinks cart, there’s no denying the possibilities are endless.
The Fern console Table is a practical extra surface but also ideal for showcasing your favourite items. The high gloss finish also helps reflect light back around your room.
Much as the Fern Console Table is multi-functional, the Duo Side Table doubles up as a table for remotes, lamps and magazines, while the pouf which tucks neatly inside can be pulled out as a perfectly sized footstool! Multi-tasking at its finest!
When looking for an Airbnb property, 9 times out of 10 people will be looking for new experiences. You want your home to be that new experience, something different from the day to day. Although you cannot physically give them a new experience, you certainly can give then a new interior experience.
Stand out from the crowd with a Dining Corner Bench and create a multi-functional American Diner style booth. Dining benches are such a focal piece and add so much style and class to a kitchen / diner.
The Loop Bench Range offers multiple sizes and styles to suit any home interior. Combine a corner bench with a backless upholstered dining bench, or perhaps a mix and match of dining chairs and a 3-4 seater dining bench with backrest. Either way you’ll have a totally desirable and magazine worthy kitchen.
So now you have the basics to getting started on Airbnb. Don’t forget to read through all the FAQ’s over on Airbnb and familiarise yourself with the safety tips and tricks.
We’ve got so much more to share with you when it comes to getting your home Airbnb ready! Keep a look out for the next post in the series, where we will be talking through all things colour and getting the most out of your Airbnb listing!
Have you got any Airbnb hosting questions? Submit them below and our experts will be sure to get back to you. In the meantime share your Airbnb interiors with us by tagging us in your pictures and using #mydanetti.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Interior Design Masters Siobhan Murphy shares her home bar styling tipsWe've teamed up with Interior Design Masters finalist and Interior Stylist, Siobhan Murphy for some Friday fizz fun! For this guest blog takeover, Siobhan has created three signature looks with our customers favourite drinks cabinet. Check out her top tips on how to achieve each of these styles below.Read more
- Interior Design Masters Siobhan Murphy answers your Danetti design dilemmasWe've teamed up with Interior Design Master's finalist and Interior Stylist, Siobhan Murphy to tackle your Danetti design dilemmas! From home office hacks to better organising your décor, check out Siobhan's top tips for styling your home and enhancing your space.Read more
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more