1. Not Considering Your Sizing
First things first: will it fit through your door? Manoeuvring a sofa into a space isn’t the easiest of tasks, but this can be made far easier on the day of delivery by checking your sizing and considering how it’ll fit through your door.
Top Tip: wait to attach the feet of your sofa before getting it through your door. Those couple extra inches of space will make all the difference!
2. Not Considering Your Placement
You’ll want to double check the measurements of your sofa in the space. No one wants to squeeze past the back or tuck in their feet every time someone walks past. Be careful of placing leathers close to radiators or fabric sofas in direct sunlight to avoid damage to the material.
To help with your placement, draw out a bird’s eye view floor plan and block in your furniture. You could do this by drawing it on or cutting out to scale size drawing of each item in the space. This will allow you to play with the placement without the heavy lifting involved in actually moving the furniture!
3. Not Considering Your Existing Space
How do you use your current sofa? Do you like the position it’s currently in or are you wanting a new arrangement? How often and who uses the sofa? These are all incredibly important questions to ask yourself when choosing a sofa for your space, as they will help you narrow downsizing, style and materials. If you choose a sofa that’s not practical for your needs or fit for purpose, it’ll really disrupt your room.
Top Tip: A sofa will generally tell you how many it can seat. However, it’s always a good idea to still check your measurements. This way you’ll get a better feel for how many you personally think you could sit.
4. Prioritising Style Over Comfort
No one wants a good-looking sofa that’s not comfortable to sit on. Some people like to sit back, others want to stretch out and there are those that just simply want to sit.
A deeper seat will allow you to snuggle up, while a high back will offer more support when sat upright. Opt for lower armrest if you like to lounge on your sofa, as this will offer a place to rest your head. A sofa can be both stylish and comfortable, so make sure you consider both factors.
5. Not Doing Your Research
Many sofas look the part, but it’s a good idea to consider what’s going on on the inside too. Factors such as the frame, seat padding and what support the seat has are all contributing factors to the comfort and longevity of sofa.
Central leg supports, high-density PU foam, Zigzag springs and elastic webbing are all additional features to look out for the give a sofa that stamp of quality engineering and design ingenuity.
6. Prioritising Price Over Longevity
That sofa selling for a fraction of the cost of others on the market may seem like a steal, but will it still be sitting pretty in your home in two, three, ten years to come? In many cases, you get what you pay for. So if you choose a sofa because it’s cheaper but lacking the points mentioned above, chances are you’ll end up unhappy with the lack of comfort and quality. Make sure you do your research and if the price seems to good to be true, you’ll know why!
Good To Know:
It’s widely suggested that your try a sofa out before you buy. However, when ordering online this isn’t an option. But don’t let that stop you…
- When shopping online, check your measurements, read up on the construction of the sofa and order swatches.
- Watch videos and read the product descriptions- the information is all there for you to take in and will give you a feel of the sofa that’s almost as good as sitting in it.
- Read up on the warranty and returns so that you know for whatever reason, the sofa isn’t right, you can exchange or return it hassle-free.
To shop the Danetti range of sofas, head over to our website. You can also read our sofa cleaning and buying guides for even more information.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Modern Coffee Tables: 4x Things You Need To Know When StylingOur expert stylist, Katie, has shared her top styling tips and interior knowledge so that you’ve got all the info you need to find the perfect coffee table for your space.Read more
- How To Clean A Velvet Sofa: Our Upholstery Care TipsA common misconception about velvet is that it’s a high-maintenance material. Well, let us bust that myth with this handy care and cleaning guide! When treated with the proper care and maintenance, you’ll find your velvet furniture is built to last.Read more