5 Need to Know Tips to Create Space in a Small Home
As homes get smaller and storage space gets converted into living space, it can be a challenge to keep our homes looking clean and tidy. When it comes to maximising space in a small home, there are many clever storage ideas which are easier than you think to put into place.
Assi Grey and White Gloss Compact Sideboard
The key is to choose high-density storage and multi-functional furniture to get the most out of your small space. Our Stylist shows you 6 of the best storage ideas for compact living. Learn how you can clear the clutter and create an open and spacious small home. Use this as your shopping list for a bright, open and multi-functional home.
1. Multi-functional Furniture
It’s no secret that our homes, regardless of size, require a lot of furniture to live comfortably. But what if we could combine furniture to become more compact and take up less space in our homes? We have a wide range of must-have pieces which do exactly that:
This modern side table is a clever way to combine a footstool and side table, all in one. When needed, the padded stool can be separated from the table, allowing you to put your feet up after a long day.
Duo Side Table in White / Grey
Or if you’re entertaining you have an extra seat for extra guests, however, if not needed, it slides neatly under the side table taking up less space. As a result, making your small home feel larger and more open and eliminating any extra trip hazards!
Duo Side Table in White / Grey
Metro Extending Dining Table
When entertaining in a compact home, seating all of your guests comfortably can be a challenge. The Metro Extending Dining Table is a compact 4 seater with a thin, space-saving frame, which can be extended not once, but twice to a healthy 8 seater dining table.
Metro White Gloss Dining Table Unextended
The slim metal frame keeps the overall look and feel of this table light and open. What’s more, both extension leaves are kept in the table itself, meaning you don’t have to find any extra space for storage.
When it comes to buying an extending dining table, don’t forget to check where the extension leaves will be stored. If they do not stay with the table, consider where else these can be kept, such as under a bed or sofa. But in those smaller properties- internal storage is the best option!
Metro White Gloss Extending Dining Table Fully Extended
Pair with a streamlined stackable dining chair, such as our Tori dining chair, to easily store any extra seats when not needed. Stackable dining chairs will have a much smaller footprint to store, and give you a significantly higher level of comfort than foldable dining chairs!
Tori Stackable Dining Chair in Cool Grey
2. Glass Furniture
One of the easiest things you can do when it comes to maximising space in a small home is to consider the finish of your furniture. You can create the illusion of space simply by choosing glass furniture. Glass furniture allows light to flow freely throughout your compact home, giving the appearance of a bigger space.
Zen White gloss and Glass 6 Seater Dining Table
Our Zen 6 Seater Glass Dining Table is the perfect solution for compact homes. With its tempered glass top and trestle style legs, the Zen creates a modern silhouette while allowing light to flow. Team up with the Luka White Oak Dining Chair for a slim, minimal look.
Zen Glass and White Gloss 6 Seater Dining Table
Tiva Coffee Table Set
To combine both Multi-functional furniture and Glass Furniture, choose the Tiva Coffee Table set for your compact home. As with the Zen, the glass top keeps your room open and light, while doubling up on extra surfaces.
Tiva Coffee Table Set, Stacked
Stack the 2 tables together when tight on space, or separate for a matching glass coffee table and side table set.
Tiva Coffee Table Set, Separated
3. Small Footprint
When it comes to dining furniture for small homes, the biggest thing to consider is the footprint of the furniture. A smaller footprint means it will take up less floor space, allowing you to add extra dining chairs or save floor space.
Anzio Gas Lift Barstool
Typically, a gas lift bar stool will have a slightly smaller footprint than a fixed height barstool. This is because a gas lift barstool has a central pedestal base, opposed to 4 legs on each corner.
Anzio Gas Lift Barstool in White
The backless seat will also help you space feel more open, once again maximising the space you may or may not have.
Anzio Gaslift Barstool Seat Detail
4. Storage Solutions
Possibly the best way to maximise space in a small apartment or house is to invest in storage furniture. However, these pieces can be bulky and not the most attractive. We would recommend a compact sideboard. They are smaller than a regular sideboard, but still, offer plenty of storage to hide any unwanted clutter and give the illusion of space.
Assi Compact Sideboard
Choosing a high gloss sideboard, such as the Compact Assi and White and Grey Gloss, will reflect light around your home. This will help stop too many shadows and keep your small space bright and open.
Assi Compact Sideboard in Grey and White Gloss
Make the most of the handy drawers and cupboards for hiding those bits and bobs which can make smaller homes feel messy.
Assi Compact Sideboard Storage
5. Stylist Secrets
Getting the right furniture in a small home can make a huge difference to your way of living. However, there are smaller changes you can make which will still help a small space feel bigger.
- Layout- Spend time moving furniture to get the best possible layout for your home. Take a look at our Blog Post about open plan living for tips and tricks when it comes to zoning your home.
- Colour- Using darker colours in small homes will not help make the space feel bigger. Use light colours both on walls and in soft furnishings to keep your small space bright.
- Finish- As with the use of colour, darker wood finished can make compact homes feel smaller. Opt for White or Glass furniture and think about a high gloss finish. The reflective surface will bounce light around the room giving the illusion of a larger space.
- Declutter- Small spaces can easily feel messy and crowded, so keep props to a minimum and stay on top of the loose papers! This is why pieces such as our compact sideboards are so handy!
- Mirrors- It’s common knowledge that mirrors can create the illusion of a bigger space, so make the most of it! A well-placed mirror can change the shape and look of a room instantly. Place opposite a window for maximum effect.
- Console Tables- For those smaller hallways or living rooms, Console tables are a great addition. They’re a practical extra surface for your favourite pictures and vases, but can easily be used as a compact desk or dressing table.
Calanna Console Table– add an extra, slim lined surface without blocking any light.
Show us your Small Home
So there you have it. Hopefully, you are now feeling inspired to make the most of your interiors with our top ways to save space in a small home. Got any tips which work for you? Tell us about it! And don’t forget to share your pictures with us by tagging us with #mydanetti across Instagram and Facebook!
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Modern Coffee Tables: 4x Things You Need To Know When StylingOur expert stylist, Katie, has shared her top styling tips and interior knowledge so that you’ve got all the info you need to find the perfect coffee table for your space.Read more
- 4 Things You Must Know About Leathers SofasOur expert stylist, Katie, has shared her top styling tips and interior knowledge so that you’ve got all the info you need to pick leather sofa of your dreams.Read more
- 5 Things You Must Know About Fabric SofasAre you wondering what the benefits of a fabric sofa are? Our expert stylist, Katie, has shared her top styling tips and interior knowledge so that you’ve got all the info you need to pick the fabric sofa of your dreams.Read more
- How To Clean A Velvet Sofa: Our Upholstery Care TipsA common misconception about velvet is that it’s a high-maintenance material. Well, let us bust that myth with this handy care and cleaning guide! When treated with the proper care and maintenance, you’ll find your velvet furniture is built to last.Read more
- World Cup Home Bar IdeasIt’s Coming Home – in every sense of the word! Make your World Cup experience even better with your own home bar set up. With a fully stocked drinks cupboard, who would want to leave the house?Read more