There’s no denying in these somewhat uncertain times the current housing market is a little bit unpredictable. If you’re thinking about putting your house on the market or currently listing, there are a few quick fixes to make your home look truly irresistible to potential buyers.
Making your home appealing for new buyers shouldn’t take up too much of your time or money, but it’s these little details which make all the difference…
1. Create Curb Appeal
Curb appeal is something your house has, or doesn’t. Many of factors contribute to curb appeal, some of which are out of your hands altogether. That said, there are a few super easy things you can do to make sure your house stands out above the rest:
- Clean Windows. Making sure your windows have had a good clean, inside and out, will instantly make your house sparkle. Don’t forget to give all the window frames a good scrub down, and if they need a little sand and a paint, it’s definitely worth doing!
- Shutters or Blinds. Shutters are not cheap, however, they do add value to your home, so an investment worth thinking about. Make your home stand out from your neighbours and think about those little bits of your interior you can see from the exterior.
- De-weed and Jet Wash Paths and Drives. Spend a sunny Saturday afternoon pulling any weeds out from between tiles and giving your drive and pathway a good jetwash. If the exterior of your home is clean and looking well cared for, it gives potential buyers an indication of the standard you set for your home.
- Get Green-Fingered. Depending on the time of year, pop down to the local garden centre and buy a few seasonal blooms. The fact you’ve taken time to make the front garden look good with flowers and a good tidy up will go a long way.
- Tidy Up. I mean, this may seem obvious, but there’s nothing worse than rubbish, an old sofa or old building supplies scattered around your driveway. Tidy up to give the best first impression possible.
2. Finish Those Odd Jobs Around the House
Maybe you’ve been meaning to fill those holes in the wall, or repaint the hall way from those mucky fingerprints. Make sure you set aside a weekend to get all of the little odd jobs done around the house.
If you feel like you’ve got nothing left to do, run through this little check list- there’s bound to be something you’ve missed!
- Touch up or repaint any areas that need some care and attention.
- Fill in gaps in skirting boards and door frames. Fresh caulk will make the world of difference.
- Oil any squeaky doors and cupboards.
- Steam / clean curtains to look crisp and pristine.
- Replace any cracked tiles.
- Regrout bathroom and kitchen floors and walls. This will make your tiles look brand new!
- Spend some time in the garden weeding, mowing the lawn and planting some lovely flowers and plants.
3. Clean Your Home From Top to Toe
Again, maybe an obvious one but give your home a thorough clean, making sure not to miss skirting boards, carpets and windows. Keep on top of the cleaning and dusting weekly, with extra attention just before you have potential buyers over to view.
It’s also a great idea to have a Marie Kondo style clear out before moving. Not only will your home be organised within an inch of its life if any guest wants to check out the inside of your airing cupboard or kitchen drawers, but it will also make your life so much easier when moving! You’ll only have to pack the things you need and use and be quick and easy to unpack in the new house as you will already have a home for everything.
Before you have a viewing make sure you do the following:
- Put away any washing hung out to dry
- Give the kitchen a spruce up. Clean any stainless steel appliances and surfaces with Baby Oil to disguise scratches and make it gleam!
- Dust all your surfaces
- Hoover the carpet and mop any tiles
- Make the beds and plump up any sofa cushions
- Declutter- hide remotes, paperwork and those odds and sods we all have lingering without a home.
4. Keep Interiors Simple
Whether you’re a fan of maximalist and bold interiors, it’s likely the new homeowners will have a different interior taste to you. To make your home appealing to the masses, tone it down a little bit and where possible keep colours neutral.
Potential buyers will want to see the opportunities in your home and how to stamp their own personality. Now, we’re not saying make you home a lifeless box with no personality, but maybe tone down the animal and floral print clash.
5. Add a Fresh Touch
Finally, go one step further and add small touches to your interior which will really show you care. Fresh flowers and a clean scent will do more than you think for visitors.
It’s been said that injecting a splash of yellow instantly makes your home more appealing, while a fresh scent of clean washing or a spring day will draw potential buyers in.
Avoid overpowering fragrances and keep things subtle and not too feminine to appeal to a wider range of couples or families.
There are plenty of things you can do to dress your home for success. The above are just a few small changes which won’t take long but can make all the difference when attempting to sell your home.
Fun Fact: Research suggests that rather than call your house number 46, your home will be much more memorable to potential buyers if it has a name.
Properties named after books or animals or flowers and plants like Honeysuckle Cottage or Willow House will stand out and give a cosy preconception to those house hunting. We’re not saying it’s a must to sell your house, but it’s a lovely touch and maybe something to consider when you move into your new home.
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more
- Stylish Matching Bar Stools and Dining ChairsIf you love to co-ordinate key pieces in your home, there’s nothing that feels more effortless and curated than choosing matching bar stools and dining chairs. Co-ordinating furniture feels right at home in a kitchen-diner and we’ve several looks that pair perfectly so you don’t have to spend months looking for pieces that compliment one another!Read more
- Home Office Inspiration – Our Top TipsYour home office deserves to be practical and plush to keep you on top form for those endless Zoom meetings. It should also be a zone that inspires you and keeps you working at your best. Ready to revamp your workspace? Here are our top tips for home office inspiration.Read more