If you have a luxury property that you want to rent out, furnishing it with contemporary sofas, chairs, tables and accessories can help to ensure a quick let and could even allow you to charge more for your property.
The majority of tenants looking at high-end properties want cool, statement furniture, that’s minimalist enough for them to be able to put their own stamp on the property, but comfortable enough for them to feel at home.
We chatted to Marc von Grundherr, who’s Residential Lettings Director at London lettings agency Benham & Reeves to get his views on the best furniture for luxury lets.
He’s convinced that the furniture you choose can have a huge impact on the speed with which your property will be snapped up by tenants.
“Quality contemporary furnishings are a pre-requisite for letting high-end rental properties. The letting market is extremely competitive with increased supply, particularly in new developments, and more cost-conscious tenants,” he says.
“As a general rule, unfurnished properties take up to 30% longer to let and in some instances we have seen rent reductions of as much as 40% just to secure a tenant because a property has not been presented in good enough condition to meet the tenants’ expectations.”
Don’t put youself in this position – make sure you have the whole property furnished in a co-ordinating contemporary way – not forgetting the sofa, dining table, dining chairs, beds, and smaller items like lamps and even art work.
Marc says that for a high end property to stand a chance of being let quickly at full market rental then it needs to be furnished to a high standard. “If the property is in a block with others coming on stream at the same time, the furnishings must really stand out from the crowd – this may not get you an increased rental but it will attract a tenant more quickly. Some Landlords make the mistake of going for cheap budget furniture packages but we really would recommend that they do their homework and use a company that specialises in furnishing rental properties. Anything not well furnished will simply not let or will receive substantially reduced offers.”
So there you have it, an expert in the residential lettings field recommending that you don’t try to pull the wool over potential tenants’ eyes by buying cheap furniture – they’ll see straight through it.
At Danetti, much of our furniture is sourced from Europe and quality and design are our priorities when choosing pieces, so prospective tenants are sure to be impressed.
We pressed Marc to tell us which particular types of furniture are the most popular with tenants in the luxury rental market, and he told us that designer furniture is always popular. He also recommends adding a statement piece of furniture for the wow factor.
As for colour: “Neutral colours are still popular as a backdrop,” he says, while “dramatic and dark decor and furnishings are only really advisable is you’re looking for single male occupants” – the typical bachelor’s pad.
“Modular sofas are still fashionable and leather is always a good option as it’s hard wearing,” says Marc. And although the minimalist look is still popular, you have to be careful not to take that too far, because you want to create an interior that someone can instantly see themselves living in.Whether you’re interested in buying modular sofas, minimalist furniture, neutral colours, leather chairs, dining tables, or anything else for furnishing a high end rental property, we have the lot here at Danetti. And we can help you to pull together a co-ordinated luxurious look that won’t break your budget either. Just ask … —————————————————————————
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Bedroom Trends: 5x Things You Need To Know About Our New CollectionFrom soft wood finishes and sumptuous fabrics, to why you should turn your bedroom into a sanctuary, we caught up with our Danetti bedroom expert, Kelly Harvey, to get the inside scoop on our new seasonal collection.Read more
- Enhancing Grey – What Colours Work Best With Grey?Grey is here to stay! Coined as the colour of the moment, the timeless and always trendy colour has been a fan favourite in the world of interior décor for quite some time. Check out our top palette pairings.Read more
- Modern Sofas: Style Tips and Décor EssentialsThe focal point of every living room, it’s important to invest time in finding the right sofa for your living space. From the size of your living room to the colour scheme, there are lots of factors to consider when styling your sofa as it’s a centrepiece, and one of the most used pieces furniture in your home. Here are our top tips for styling your sofa.Read more
- How Colours Affect Your Mood And InteriorHave you ever wondered why we make certain decisions based on colour? Colour is a key player when it comes to interior design as your chosen colour scheme sets the mood for your space. Take a look at some of our top palette picks for your home makeover.Read more
- Interior Styling Tips: Create An Insta-Worthy Living Room With Bold Colours & AccentsWe’re swooning over the current trending interior design theme that is Hollywood Glam. Bold jewel tones, brass accents, and an art deco colour palette – we’ve got it all in-store. Here’s how we can easily achieve this look.Read more