By Charlotte Laing
There’s no doubt that the aftermath of the recession is still influencing our tastes when it comes to our homes. We tend to be going one of two ways – either turning the home into a luxurious cocoon, where we can escape the austerity of the outside world; or reflecting the austerity with a spirit of make-do-and-mend, including mis-matching fabrics and second-hand finds nestling among contemporary furniture.
In this article we want to take a look at how you can create both of these looks in your home…
1. The luxe cocoon
This trend is probably the most significant for autumn winter 2010. Debenhams has reported that sales of its chandeliers have gone through the roof since the economic downturn began almost two years ago. The key to this look is a bit of glitz and sparkle, quality furniture and opulent fabrics. Opt for neutral shades of grey, taupe and cream and mix in metallics gold, silver and bronze. Shapes should be fluid and rounded, nothing harsh or sharp looking. Finally, invest in some quality finishing touches like chandeliers, cushions, candles and champagne buckets!
1. Chandelier, £79, Debenhams
2. Luxy cream leather sofa, Danetti VIEW NOW
3. Linda Barker gold cushion, £12, Matalan
4. Bubble tub chair in grey, Danetti VIEW NOW
5. Potenza scroll legs extendible dining table, Danetti VIEW NOW
2. The make-do-and-mend look
It’s a little bit vintage, a little bit eclectic and a lot of fun – brght colours, often clashing, combine with traditional styling – think teacups and cute cushions mixed with real wood furniture and brightly coloured stools. To make sure your furniture lasts the test of time, invest in statement block colour furniture and solid wood, then ‘dress’ the look with disposable accessories like cushions, tea-towels, lamps and crockery.
1. Keri wire mesh chair, Danetti, VIEW NOW
2. Tea cup and saucer, £6.99, Not On The High Street
3.Various circular ‘Orbit’ stools, Danetti, VIEW NOW
4. ‘Make do and mend’ cushion, £20, Bhs
5. Compton coffee table, Danetti, VIEW NOW
Don't miss a thing
Simply enter your email address below and stay up to date with our latest news and products.
Explore Our Blogs
- Interior Design Masters Siobhan Murphy shares her home bar styling tipsWe've teamed up with Interior Design Masters finalist and Interior Stylist, Siobhan Murphy for some Friday fizz fun! For this guest blog takeover, Siobhan has created three signature looks with our customers favourite drinks cabinet. Check out her top tips on how to achieve each of these styles below.Read more
- Interior Design Masters Siobhan Murphy answers your Danetti design dilemmasWe've teamed up with Interior Design Master's finalist and Interior Stylist, Siobhan Murphy to tackle your Danetti design dilemmas! From home office hacks to better organising your décor, check out Siobhan's top tips for styling your home and enhancing your space.Read more
- How to create a relaxing master bedroomComfortable and calming colours, soft-to-the-touch finishes and easy-styling accessories: it’s time to create your summer sleep haven. Does your bedroom décor need a freshen up? Here are our top tips for creating this relaxing bedroom sanctuary look with recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you. Next stop: Dreamland.Read more
- How to create a calming living room with our signature lookLooking for some living room inspiration? Here are our top tips for creating this signature look in your home with product recommendations from our new collection – designed by us, exclusively for you.Read more
- Bring The Outside In – Interior Styling TipsIn a world where our homes have become more digital than ever, we need to bring the outside in and connect ourselves to nature. Adding natural elements to your interior helps to evoke feelings of reflection and grounding, so whether you’re green-fingered or a lover of faux fauna, here’s how you can bring the outside in.Read more