Feng Shui known as â€˜wind and waterâ€™ has been a traditional part of Chinese culture for thousands of years. The ancient art stems from the belief of positive and negative energy reflected in the Yin and Yang flow of Chi. To create a harmonious and balanced atmosphere placement of furniture is key, it can even help the flow and movements of natural rhythms. Chi The most important element of Feng Shui is considered to be chi, an invisible energy or life force that runs through everything. By organising our environments we can alter the flow of chi, which in turn is believed to affect health, wealth, luck and even the energy of the individuals living and work in that space. The idea is to create a healthy flow around a space and prevent it from stagnating.
Yin and Yang
Yin and Yang are considered to be two parts of a whole, two opposing forces alive in all things.
Yang comes from the heavens, bright, masculine and forceful, it gains direction and purpose as it moves toward the earth, and Yin. Yang is so overpowering that Yin manifests as a dark, consuming element that moves upwards, toward the heavens, returning to Yang. Yin is regarded to be the earth, dark, feminine and passive, a complementary opposite to Yang's bright, active, masculine energy. Together these two elements represent a perfect balance.
Feng Shui is all about getting the right balance between these two forces. As Yin is a passive and calming force, decorating using this energy is best kept to places where a relaxing atmosphere is important, such as a bedroom. On the other hand for a lively atmosphere such as a child's playroom decorating with Yang would be more ideal.
The 5 Elements (or Wu Xing)
The 5 elements are as follows;
- Metal - Releasing (complete, ordered, structured, pure, joy, evening, white, gold, round etc.)
- Wood - Trusting (growth, new beginnings and ideas, rising, input, morning, rectangular etc.)
- Water - Aligning (power within, dormancy, midnight, blue/black, irregular etc.)
- Fire - Opening (enlightenment, action, midday, midsummer, red, triangular etc.)
- Earth - Connecting (resourceful, centred, balance, afternoon, yellow, square etc.)