When it comes to shopping for furniture, you want to be sure you're buying for style and longevity and not just because something is "on trend". For most of us the furniture we buy is an investment, so you want to know what you're buying will last.
With that in mind, we would like to show you our new Aria Grey Oak range. Made from a grey oak veneer, this hardwearing and practical range is perfect for busy family homes, and for timeless interior style.
Why Choose Wood Veneer?
Wood veneer is made from very thin sheets of real wood which is glued onto flat panels. Although not solid wood, a wood veneer is actually much stronger and harder wearing than real wood which requires regular maintenance.
Wood Veneer Pros
- Lighter than real wood, making easier to manoeuvre around the home
- Cheaper than real wood, making more affordable for families wanting the look of real wood, without splashing out and signing up to regular maintenance.
- More pliable than real wood, allowing more versatility and freedom to work for many different types of furniture, from beds to tables to sideboards.
- Guaranteed stability. Unlike real wood, veneers are not prone to splitting or warping when subjected to different heat sources. This makes it the perfect material to use in homes with central heating.
- Non-toxic and Recyclable. Most wood veneers are made in an eco friendly way, unlike laminates which can require chemicals. Veneer can also be recycled once it's finished with- they can be broken down to create MDF and chipboard, to become another beautiful piece of furniture.
Wood Veneer Cons
- Slightly more delicate than real wood. If not made well, corners can catch and chip. Be sure to buy veneer furniture from a reputable seller to ensure longevity.
- Prone to water damage if not properly protected. Overtime if water seeps under the surface of the veneer it can cause it to bubble and crack. Our wood veneers are protected with a sealant to stop this from happening.
- Can crack if not properly cared for. As veneer is still a real wood, it requires a level of care and maintenance to keep it looking fresh. As mentioned, our veneers are protected to ensure longevity,
howeversome cheaper furniture which has not been finished off will require regular polishing to keep the wood supple and free of cracks.
- Avoid positioning your furniture in front of any radiators, fireplaces or in direct sunlight as this can cause fading or discolouration.
Veneer Care and Cleaning Tips
Cleaning and caring for your wood veneer furniture couldn't be easier. As with all furniture, it's key to catch any spills as soon as they happen to avoid any permanent damage.
For daily care and cleaning, we recommend dusting down the table top with a clean microfibre cloth. For any sticky marks, use mild soapy water and a clean cloth. Be sure not to get too much water on your tabletop, and dry any water with a clean (and dry) microfibre cloth.
For more stubborn marks, avoid using any aerosol or oil-based polish, as these can leave marks. Instead, stick to a solution of water and dish soap, adding a very small splash of vinegar.
For really stubborn stains, it is possible to lightly sand back the wood, however, we wouldn't recommend giving this a go yourself. Should you find yourself in this position, we recommend contacting a professional furniture cleaner or restorer who can properly protect your table.
You can treat natural veneers with a light surface oil, however it's always best to contact a furniture specialist for advice.
Aria Grey Oak Dining Table
The Aria Grey Oak Dining Table is super versatile and will happily sit within all manner of different interior styles. By pairing a thick, wood veneer table top with sleek glass legs, you create a light and fresh look to your home.
Velvet Dining Chairs vs. Faux Leather Dining Chairs
For a more relaxed, chic look, pair the grey oak veneer and glass dining table with a soft velvet dining chair. The Harper Velvet dining chair is perfect for this look due to its curved seat and chrome legs.
The curved back of the Harper chair balances out the angular table, softening the space and creating a relaxed, inviting setting.
Stylists Tip: Mix and match reflective finishes with matt textures, like the velvet and the grey oak. This will stop your home feeling too twee, and give a real designer edge.
Alternatively, for a more modern luxe feel, pair the Aria Grey Oak dining table with a faux leather dining chair.
The Theo Faux Leather Dining Chairs create a modern luxe look but balancing the hard glass and grey oak with soft shapes and matt finishes.
Stylist Tips: The Grey Oak Veneer will feel different when paired with different colours. For a warmer look, pair with new warm neutrals and colours with a red or yellow undertone. To look cooler, choose more greys with blue undertones.
Aria Grey Oak Veneer Storage Furniture
Veneer furniture isn't just perfect for dining tables, but also storage furniture too! We've made it easy for you to create a well dressed and coordinated how by completing the Aria range with matching sideboards, shelving units and coffee tables too!
A favourite of ours in the Aria Grey Oak Sideboard. With sturdy glass sides, this modern sideboard looks light and airy in your home, while being a practical storage unit to hide away all those bits and bobs.
Showcase your favourite objects on the display shelf, while stylishly hiding away all those odds and sods in the handy drawers.
Stylist Tip: Create a sideboard/ barcart by using the display shelf to house your best glasses and Gin bottles!
Aria Display Unit
New for 2019, we have designed a super stylish and highly practical display unit as part of the Aria Grey Oak Range (but also available in white oak which can she shopped here).
One of the best features of the Aria Display Unit is that the cupboards open on both sides, making this stylish piece of furniture 360º. Position against the wall, or use to divide your room and still have access from all angles.
Stylists Tip: Be aware that you can see into the cupboards even with the doors closed, so maybe avoid piling in those letters and random bits and stick to showcasing your fine china while keeping dust at bay.
Aria Grey Oak Coffee Table
And finally, complete the look with the Aria Coffee Table. Like the rest of the range, this coffee table consists of a soft grey oak top paired with sleek and minimal glass legs.
The glass allows light to flow throughout your home and feel bright and airy all year round.
The grey oak veneer is super versatile and can be used with whatever sofa or statement chair you wish! Position in front of a real leather sofa for a soft, minimal and modern look, or pair with a rich green velvet sofa for a softer, richer look. The possibilities are endless!
What do you think?
Tell us what you think of the new Aria Range, and if you have any questions on Wood Veneer, leave us a comment below.